first time with a wort kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don cherry

Reaction score
Do you guys think that i should dry hop on my first time using a wort kit ,or just try it like it is and add stuff next time ,it's the bearded dragon kit by all in brewing by the way .

my opinion only

brew it without dry hopping 1st if you think it needs dry hopping and you re purchase the wort kit you then can do the dry hop

how did it end up? I'm bottle conditioning the extra pale ale mosaic and I wish I added more mosaic towards the end!

still tasting quite nice though.

how did it end up? I'm bottle conditioning the extra pale ale mosaic and I wish I added more mosaic towards the end!

still tasting quite nice though.

If you had of added more mosaic with out doing your brew for the 1st time , you would not have thought about

by doing a wort kit as it comes with out doing any dry hopping etc (unless the wort calls for it to be done in the instructions)
you know what the base of the wort is and ya say i think this could have had some dry hopping it will encourage you to try it again
with the added mosaic hops.

so you have worked out by doing it plane jane way and though yeah its good but needs more mosaic , put that in your tasting notes for future)

the next brewing it with the extra mosaic , it you might over do it , but you then can do it a 3rd time and find that right balance

To throw another option out there: grab yourself a 3 L apple juice and drink it (not from the bottle!), give the empty bottle a quick shake with starsan, and you have a 3 L fermenter. Mix up your fresh wort kit and do one plain and pull off 2 L for use with 3-4 g/L (= 6-8 g) of hops.

An airlock is as simple as poking a hole in a balloon with a needle and stretching it over the opening.

If this idea doesn't suit, I'd just go whole-hog and dry-hop from batch 1.

To throw another option out there: grab yourself a 3 L apple juice and drink it (not from the bottle!), give the empty bottle a quick shake with starsan, and you have a 3 L fermenter. Mix up your fresh wort kit and do one plain and pull off 2 L for use with 3-4 g/L (= 6-8 g) of hops.

An airlock is as simple as poking a hole in a balloon with a needle and stretching it over the opening.

If this idea doesn't suit, I'd just go whole-hog and dry-hop from batch 1.

That's a great idea, oxygen won't get back in through the balloon?

Doesn't seem to. I've used the trick for some quick apple cider and the balloon stayed partially inflated until I bottled. It's similar to the cling wrap method.

Back