First Time Using Liquid Yeast - Wyeast 3068 - Weihenstephan

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clean brewer

Obsessed Home Brewer
Reaction score
Hello all,

Just need confirmation(yes ive searched) that this is correct?? Dividing up..

• Smacked pack, pack has swelled fully
  • Boiled 100gr LDM in 1ltr Water and cooled (everything sanitised)
  • Poured into Plastic bottle then poured in Liquid Yeast
  • Put lid on, shake the shit out of it, and shake every now and again
  • Started fermenting
  • Once finished fermenting, mix up and pour equally between 6 stubbies, cap and chill.
To pitch into a brew..

• Pull stubbie out of fridge, bring to room temp
  • Boil 100gr LDM in 1ltr water and cool
  • Pour into Plastic bottle and pour in contents of stubbie
  • Started fermenting
  • Pitch entire contents onto brew at High Krausen.
Cheers Guys/Gals..

Im sure thats right..

Thats exactly what I do except I only make up 5 stubbies. I don't know if the amount of headspace left in the bottle making up 6 is a problem but it makes me comfortable.

• Started fermenting
  • STAND BACK AND WATCH THE 3068 LEAP FROM THE FERMENTOR!!!
This is a wonderful yeast for weizens. The first time i used it i was blown away by the krausen it produced compared to other yeasts.

I usually use cling film and rubber band on fermenter, from what ive read and what youse say, should I use a lid with airlock and blow-off tube into another bottle?

Im a bit scared of the Krausen Monster it will create... :unsure:

G'day CB

• Started fermenting
  • Once finished fermenting, put in fridge for 24hrs (reduced risk of infection at cooler temp)
  • Take out of fridge, swirl to mix up and pour equally between 6 stubbies, cap and chill.

To pitch into a brew..

• Started fermenting
  • Boil another 100gr LDM in 1ltr water and cool
  • Pour into 2.4L Plastic bottle and pour in the 1L active starter
  • Put lid on
  • Started fermenting agressively
  • Pitch entire contents into 20 odd Litres of wort at High Krausen. (2L starter)

For a wheatie, if you want Isoamylacetate (Banana) pitch a 1L starter to stress the yeast a little.

Screwy

I usually use cling film and rubber band on fermenter, from what ive read and what youse say, should I use a lid with airlock and blow-off tube into another bottle?

Bottle = Bucket with the 3068! :unsure:

Hey CB,

Pitch at 13C and ferment at 17C you'll get a great balance of yeast esters. This I believe is what some brewery's do in Germany.

What sort of fermentation time would I expect at those temps? Ive heard Grain to Brain in a week.. Does it hurt leaving for 2 weeks??

the old 30 rule.

or as Jamil Prefers, constant pitch/ferment temp of 17 deg! very clovey

What sort of fermentation time would I expect at those temps? Ive heard Grain to Brain in a week.. Does it hurt leaving for 2 weeks??

I think some cold cond. is appropriate, but I only managed to do this with one bottle and it was definately better than the rest of the batch that didnt spend more than 12hours in the fridge.
The batch only lasted two weeks out of the fermenter :D
next time ill let it sit in a keg for a week or two before consuming.

Hello all,

Just need confirmation(yes ive searched) that this is correct?? Dividing up..

• Started fermenting
  • Once finished fermenting, mix up and pour equally between 6 stubbies, cap and chill.
To pitch into a brew..

• Started fermenting
Cheers Guys/Gals..

Im sure thats right..

Pretty good process mate, that is what i usually do. Although in the last 18 months i've become a bit lazy with my yeast, and been using a lot of dry yeast ( which are very good as we know ), having kids will do that to ya!!.

But, im going back to the liquids, and i'll be doing the same thing you've just posted. Just make damn sure the starter is done before capping into bottles. I've had the fridge door blown open, with glass shards embedded in the plastic of the door due to bottling too early. PET is great for this reason.

Cheers, and you will enjoy that yeast, yum yum!!

P.S drink that weizen as fresh as you can. I just kegged one today ( dry yeast ), which had only been in the fermentor for 5 or 6 days. I cant wait til tomorrow to sample a few big arse glasses!!

Hey CB,

Pitch at 13C and ferment at 17C you'll get a great balance of yeast esters. This I believe is what some brewery's do in Germany.

Never a simple answer when it comes to yeast/fermentation. If you want to experiment with the 30 rule and pitch @ 13 then I would pitch a full 2L starter, a one litre starter pitched at @ 13 after being grown at ambient would suffer a little shock, if you attemporate it to 13 and pitch there will be added stress (Already underpitching). All depends on what you want from the yeast as with all yeasts, stress it slightly temperature and/or pitching rate wise and may produce esters, stressed heavily it may drop out (too low a temp) or produce phenolics (too hot). This all depends on yeast strain characteristics of course.

What pitching rate do the German Breweries use when applying the 30 rule, their yeast would presumably also be in top condition. Are they using top cropped yeast or slurry, are they pitching yeast or a starter? A beer made using a one litre starter pitched and fermented at 20 tastes different to one using a two litre starter, pitched and fermented at 20 try it sometime, that's what brewing is all about. Learn to get what you want from yeast strains. Personally, don't think I've ever had a wheatie not finish under a week, I pitch and ferment at 20.

Screwy

Yeh Screwy, I remember you telling me about using this yeast for a Wheat and fermenting around the 20c and it being done in a couple days(grain to brain in 7 days :chug: ).. The temp being for some nice banana flavours..

Would rather just keep it simple and pitch it all at the same temp for now, its my first one and ill have 5 other stubbies of yeast there to use, might just try the varying methods suggested and see what the differences in flavour are... And use what I like from there, cant wait to have a wheat to smash....

Yeh Screwy, I remember you telling me about using this yeast for a Wheat and fermenting around the 20c and it being done in a couple days(grain to brain in 7 days :chug: ).. The temp being for some nice banana flavours..

Would rather just keep it simple and pitch it all at the same temp for now, its my first one and ill have 5 other stubbies of yeast there to use, might just try the varying methods suggested and see what the differences in flavour are... And use what I like from there, cant wait to have a wheat to smash....

Goodluck to ya CB, interested in your methods and results. :beerbang:

An old thread but a lot of great information. I wish I had found this prior to researching why mine hasn't started after 4 days on approx 35L. I pitched one pack of 3068 at 18°after smacking the pack and leaving it for about 4 hours. It had swelled a little prior to pitching. I understand that I have underpitched but thought it would've shown signs by now. I will check for an infection, but I was going to drop a WPL300 (only stock at LHBS) on top if it hasn't started by day 7. Again with no starter to under pitch. Happy to break this process down and have feedback.

Back