First time brewer using coopers kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lukecee

Reaction score
gday im luke from Sydney, just acquired my dads brewing kit and thought I'd have a crack. I'm brewing the coopers pale ale for my first attempt. I started my initial fermentation in the wort a couple of weeks back and was struggling to keep the temp above 17 degrees even with a sleeping bag around it so I purchased a heat belt which held the temp at a steady 22 degrees which I was happy with. Took about two weeks to get a consistent alcohol reading which is when I decided to bottle into glass 650ml bottles with a teaspoon approx 5 grams of dextrose in each.
I couldn't wait so I tasted one of the beers that very night, flat and warm but sweet and fruity which is what I was hoping for.
Any hints or opinions of how long to leave my bottles carbonating before getting stuck in?
Cheers

G'day Luke and welcome.
All sounds ok for the first one mate, temp control can be a tricky one, especially in summer, trying to avoid those higher temps.
Some brewers use an old fridge with a temp. Controller to ferment in, I picked up a good upright freezer off FB buy swap sell for $40!
Anyway, try to keep those mitts off your bottles for at least 2 weeks, keep them warm (20ish) and you'll soon be enjoying the fruits of your labour.
Cheers, Brock.

Welcome also Lukecee. Your certainly on the right track, try to keep temps 18 -20 degrees for 2 weeks. Fair bit of info on how to control temps here, fridges to foam boxes to tee shirts/ jumpers etc.
It is so much stated here, cleanliness, sanitation and temp control = decent beers. To build up stocks and to note difference in maturing, put half a dozen away. Have one at 2,4,6,8,10 and 12 weeks and write down what you think. Worth while excercise.
Cheers

Last edited:
Welcome Lukecee! All the best with the brews mate. Great advice above. Temp control & sanitation are huge. Then there's so much more awesome stuff to pick up and learn. Some great advice on offer on the forum. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back