First time all grain...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CasualNerd

Reaction score
I'm finding it difficult to decide on how to do my first all grain brew. I've done a few extracts brews (including with steeped extra grain and with dry hopping) but They still taste like 'cheap' beer to me. If I proceed I'll be trying a small batch, 10litres or so. I was hoping to find a pre measured kit but it seems here in Aus we don't have many options. National Home Brew have kits but postage would double the price :/

I don't have big equipment, so I'm inclined to try the BIAB method. I can strain the wort to a bucket then back to the cleaned pot, but without two pots should I 'no sparge' and add extra grain ?

Should I try EdWort's "Haus Pale Ale" http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=31793 or go straight for a Sierra Nevada clone: https://byo.com/cider/item/3025-sierra-nevada-pale-ale-clone which is a favorite beer of mine ?

I've spent the last few hours reading over my options and I'd love some advice, cheers.

One question first up.. which extracts were you using? There are some out there that taste cheap - and then there are others. Mangrove Jacks were awesome kits for me personally, I recently also tasted a bottle from another AHB member made from an MG kit and I couldn't tell the difference from all grain. But I digress - I'm a BIAB'er, haven't done extract in a good while, so take this advice with some salt.

Go grab a 20L pot from Big W for $20, they're the best bang for buck if doing a 10L BIAB batch.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is a favorite of mine too but it's been tricky to nail a clone of it - must be their Hop Torpedo that sets it apart. If in doubt though, brew Dr Smurto's Golden Ale, Google it and you'll find it.

I used Coopers Pale and Morgans frontier IPA. Maybe It's worth trying a MJ extract but I would have thought Coopers kits were decent ?

Dr Smurto's Golden Ale looks good, I'll keep it on the shortlist depending on what I find at the Homebrew shop tomorrow (I still don't know that they even have brew bags). Sadly no BigW here but I have a 20litre pot.

I didn't see the extract version in my search, is the suggestion that I try that first ?

Have you read up on this https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/20l-stovetop-all-grain-aussie-lager.44264/

Also, there's a difference between kits like the coopers pale and extracts. Extracts are Just malt, whereas the kits are malt and hops. The kits have a weird flavor, but you should be able to do good beers with extract - so don't give that up entirely
Shame about the pics being blocked, looks like a good beginner sequence, thanks.

I've only used can kits, I hadn't considered canned extract. maybe that's my next step, at least then I can make a full 23ltr batch without any extra equipment too.

In the last page I did a summary from reading through all the pages. I just stuffed up by putting it in the cubes when it was cold... So don't do that!

Id say definitely give an extract brew a try - with either canned liquid extract, or dry powdered. You can do cool shit with just 2-3kg of extract, 250g of a grain like you've tried, and some hops

Thanks guys I've picked up supplies to brew the extract version of DrSmurto's Golden Ale. This is a nice intermediate step with few ingredients, and from the reviews looks like a solid drop.

I forgot to get the grain milled, it's not much work to crush 250gm of grain but will the uneven crushing affect it enough to worry about ?
I've been filtering water through a brita jug for brewing, is that good enough ?
Am I right to assume it's a 60 min boil for the golden ale ?
Is the water quantity important or just adding plenty to cover the grain enough for steeping ?
Is a low temp ok for brewing this golden ale ? It's probably 10-15 celcius inside here at the moment, but I have a heating belt.

Thanks for all the help so far, much appreciated.

Steep the grains in at least 2l water, then put in strainer over your pot. Then sparge by pouring another couple litres (at 75 degrees) over the top into your boiling pot.

What does the recipe say to boil for?

The temp is related to yeast, so if you use an ale yeast go for around 18 degrees. Do you have a temperature monitoring thing to keep it at that temp?

Good luck!!

What does the recipe say to boil for?

The temp is related to yeast, so if you use an ale yeast go for around 18 degrees. Do you have a temperature monitoring thing to keep it at that temp?
It doesn't mention a boil time for the extract version of the recipe. Previously I only boiled for 20 minutes, but I notice a lot of AG recipes I see are 60.

I've got a few thermometers, but 18 I should be able to achieve with the heating belt just nicely.

Thanks again !

Are you doing the full extract with the grain or with the sparkling ale tin?

My brain couldnt think of the word when it gets to Friday but I'm talking about a temperature controller like an stc1000. It will turn you heat belt on/off to keep the right temperature you set it for

Are you doing the full extract with the grain or with the sparkling ale tin?
I'm doing Kit tin and Extract tin with 250gm grain. I guess next time I'll do extract / grain.

I might organise a temp controller actually, probably worth it. I got the last one sitting consistently within a few degrees with a towel and the heat belt.

I absolutely encourage you to try all grain, using whatever method you can afford/enjoy/can build/can buy. However get your fermentation understanding and method down pat first.

Look at trying a decent fresh wort kit, fermented well, as a test

Fresh wort kits are news to me, looks like an interesting option. Is it safe to assume that when they boil down the extract to make a hopped kit can it would affect the flavour and a fresh wort kit would be an improvement ?

My fermentation background includes every other diy food ferment from yoghurt, kefir, sourdough, kimchi etc so I feel like this is no different.

Not different but each has specific parameters.

Fresh wort is akin to what you'd produce as an AG brewer without outlaying for equipment and time committment.

Single vessel BIAB, no chill is the easiest cheap entry into AG, grainfather, robobrew or braumeister is similarly easy but with a higher price tag.

Homebrewing is one of those hobbies that only gets complicated the more you learn o_O

Thanks for suggestions all.

I'm doing Kit tin and Extract tin with 250gm grain. I guess next time I'll do extract / grain.

I might organise a temp controller actually, probably worth it. I got the last one sitting consistently within a few degrees with a towel and the heat belt.
You can get one of eBay for under $20
For your boil, only 15min needed, with hops added at 15min and 0

From the recipe: 20g Amarillo @ 15 and 0 (sometimes listed as 15g @ 10, 5 and dry hop, i prefer the former)

I'm just about to brew this batch - stupid question but if I add 500gm of grain, will the result will be more flavour and ABV, so I can just adjust a little more water ?

Just don't want to waste the grain !

Back