First Tiem Brewer-air Lock Not Bubbling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewills

Reaction score
Hi! i recently joined this website hoping to read some ideas on home brewing and also to get help on my homebrew.

i recently bought a home brew kit( WAnder) i followed the instructions and everythign and started the brew on saturday night.. the temp is kept at 22-24 degrees so far... it should be fermenting now because when i took the initial sg level it was 1040.. today was 1015 ... after 1020 yesterday.. so i can see from the sg level that it is fermenting...

so i think my lid isn't airtight because no bubbles are coming!!! what can i do to fix that? will it affect my beer.. and one other thing... you know how the instructions say to put the steralising liquid into the airlock halfway? i felt that the water level has been lower than when i first put the liquid in.. i think there is some sort of evaporation going on int he airlock.. will that affect my beer? what can i do to make the beer work out right?

any help will be appreciated!

To test the airlock, gently squeeze the fermenter, it should make the level move.
If there is a minor leak it's not a big deal, there should be a CO2 blanket over the beer, which will protect it. Once primary is over though, you might want to make sure that the leak is not major as temperature fluctiations could possibly suck some air in.

Did you see krausen (foam) on the beer at all? This is a good indication of a happy ferment.

Be carefull with steriliser in the airlock, if it's something that kills yeast (like bleach) you run the risk of killing your beer when you take sg levels by sucking some liquid into the beer.

My airlock stopped bubbling many brews ago. First time it happened I was a bit paranoid.

Now I don't worry - never had any noticeable bad side effects.

I've noticed that most of the fermenters I've seen tend to have a rough edge on the top where the 2 halves of the mould have joined. This caused a tear in the rubber lid seal on one of my fermenters. I got around this by sending the sharp piece until it was smooth, and replacing the rubber seal. I thought I would solve the problem, but that fermenter seems to have a dodgy hole for the airlock as well :(

I think I might try to seal the existing hole with a rubber bung, and drill a new one.

So to sum up, some fermenters arent made too carefully, especially for the bits that are meant to be airtight. Have a look and see what you can find.

Thanks all for the replies! there is foam when i draw out the beer for sg readings testing.. i guess i will see what happens when i bottle it this weekend!

I gave up un the airlock about 60 batches ago. Just leave the lid loose. Haven't had a problem.
Darren

Darren said:
I gave up un the airlock about 60 batches ago. Just leave the lid loose. Haven't had a problem.
Darren
Same. It is rather unnecessary.

Yes I agree it is unnecessary

Having said that I have been brewing for 25 years and I personally like that airlock bubbling , Coopers make a fermenter seal kit , white softer 'O' ring and a new airlock and tap seal for under $5

This will fix most fermenters

As I have said many times , personal choice really

Batz :ph34r:

Batz said:
I think it creates a greater infection potential than it prevents.
If you suck back, tip, spill the contents of the airlock into a beer it isn't going to do it any good.
The o-ring is difficult to sanitise too. Plus you need to drill a hole through a perfectly good lid.
I like to use my old fermenters as grain storage bins and a hole in the lid makes them useless.
just my rant
Darren

Batz said:
Yes I agree it is unnecessary

Having said that I have been brewing for 25 years and I personally like that airlock bubbling , Coopers make a fermenter seal kit , white softer 'O' ring and a new airlock and tap seal for under $5

This will fix most fermenters

I agree... there are two sounds I find truly soothing; one, the gentle crashing of ocean waves on the beach at nighttime and two, my fermenters bubbling merrily away.

You like the same music as me Kai

Music is in the hand of the beer holder :D

hi guys!

thanks for the advice.. hopefully i should be bottling on saturday....

any ideas on steralising and cleaning bottles? much help willbe appreciated!

Latest posts

Back