First Taste After 6 Weeks Cc Boags Copy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gout

Bentleigh Brau Haus
Reaction score
well, i wan't a happy boy after the last few months making this beer and waiting to brew this for the last 2 yrs.

It is still a bit early so maybe the next few pots will be better and letting the CO2 stablise also.

so far, head is good lasts the entire pot, tight form.
colour very light straw colour.
it has some haze, i have had this problem with all my mash brews - JW malts? some say its tippical but i dont know. maybe i will boil for 120 min next time. and need to look at CF chiller to cool it quicker and get better Cold brake.

smooth, good hoppy aroma, strong hop flavour. not very malty, altho has alot of body. not very bitter at all! yet very balanced its not bitter or sweet

nothing is exciting me by it yet, its nice but nothing is standing out. might be a good thing :blink:

think i want it a bit more malty next time around.... maybe a tad of munich?

4.75kg JW pils
150g wheat
50g caramalt (i think?)

14g POR 60min
40g Hersbeucher 10 min
25g Hersbeucher dry hop

Wyeast Danish lager brewed at 9deg 2 weeks, then diacytl 2 days, then 5 weeks CC around 2deg

It might be to smooth comp. to a boags? I will buy one tonight and compare

Ben

Add some munich and vienna - 150 of each...
Chuck 25 gms in the mash tun and then 30 gms for FWH - First Wort Hopping.

That should help.

will do with the next batch!

worst thing with lagers is it a long wait to see if a experiment works....

hard work but someone has to do it

update!

keg half gone, beer is great :)
mate came over and drank most of it and offered to buy a keg a week if i wanted to make it..( sounds like to much hard work)

anyway right now i have a boags and my brew.

colour spot on! but mine is clouded (shame!)

thats about the only similarity :)

boags:
no head, no real hop aroma, malty flavour slight bitterness, thin, gassy and very light hops flavour

HB:
good head due to wheat, smell the hops (hallertau) as you pour it! stong, thick and creamy, smooth very very nice as it enters your mouth, strong hop flavours and then smooth exit - balanced.

now what i want is to cut back on the hops (maybe - as i do like it hoppy but its not like a boags) and give it that malt flavour that boags has.

In fact the boags taste like CUB Draught next to the fresh HB ;)

so i am now happy but what to keep the colour, yet have it taste more malty like boags

how would they do it? a thin light colour beer thats got a malty flavour?

maybe my hops are hiding it?

mine is slightly sweeter also (due to 50% more grain i guess :) )

To increase the malt add more munich and vienna - leave the hops the same....

Ken, will this blow the colour out thought?

I'll remove the xtal and add the malt. Still wonder how the Mega brews do it, the malt flavour with next to no malt

Sorry Ben

On my list of priorities of brewing - colour comes way down list, flavour is top.

You should find taht it will not add that much extra/darker colour to it.
If you disolve white chalk into milk - does it go whiter.

Because you are adding vienna and minich that is very low in colour - IMHO the change in colour should be negligble.

Ben, turfing the crystal will help counter the colour increase from the munich, I would assume. Most likely the residual sweetness you talk of is due to the crystal anyway.

great,
i played about in promash and i can use 150g of munich and get rid of the crystal to get the same colour.

I dont mind going darker, i just wanted to master getting the same flavour and colour as per my "copy" exercise.

what amount of additions or munich, or both munich and veinna would people suggest.
I will brew this again with a little more bitterness only a bit to combat the extra sweetness (that may be less sweet without the crystal)

Back