First Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't see where to do that?
I'm using the mobile app:
pick your recipe
edit
scroll down to mash profile
tap the little cog icon on the right (this will edit your mash profile rather than choose a new one)
you will then find Mash Conditions - the first 2 boxes are grain temp and mash tun temp.
don't need to change anything else save to exit. save again to save the new conditions to the recipe.

Last edited:
As promised, I have my computer back and here is the calculation if you need to go longhand. Attached is a word doc with the charts I made up for ease of just looking at the temp of grain and target temp (I did 5C increments and marked my two most common grain temps in yellow)

Initial Infusion Equation:

Strike Water Temperature Sw = (.41/r)(T2 - T1) + T2

Where:
r = The ratio of water to grain in litres per kilogram.
T1 = The initial temperature (¡C) of the mash.
T2 = The target temperature (¡C) of the mash.
Sw = The actual temperature (¡C) of the strike water.

For example grain temp@16C and r=2 L/Kilo

Sw = (.41/2)(67 – 16) + 67 = 77.45C or when r=3 L/Kilo Tw = 73.97C

Attachments

• Infusion calc and charts.xml
    106.6 KB · Views: 11
I did 2 stouts today, 2 loaves of bread and a Chicken Curry, loved the smell of my Beamish clone mostly roast barley cold steeped for 48 hours along with a Hook Norton Double stout clone, must say cold steeping does a lot for removing the harshness out of the grains, both samples for hydrometer readings tasted good, will definitely carry on doing my stouts this way.
001.JPG

^ ^ fark! wait till Lyerbird read this.......lol

I take it from your amusement that you think the mathematics are off? Not my calculation I must admit, but with a bit of real world rounding (to nearest degree) it has never put me wrong with hitting initial mash temps. Maybe you can correct the maths if you know better.

I did 2 stouts today, 2 loaves of bread and a Chicken Curry, loved the smell of my Beamish clone mostly roast barley cold steeped for 48 hours along with a Hook Norton Double stout clone, must say cold steeping does a lot for removing the harshness out of the grains, both samples for hydrometer readings tasted good, will definitely carry on doing my stouts this way.
View attachment 107265

Cold steeping is great.

What's your hook norton recipe and do you have any others? Tried a couple of their beers (not stout - haymaker from memory and another) and was impressed.

My first stout is ok, but tastes a little like flat coke.

74% Pilsner, 9.2% Oats, 6.5% Crystal 120L, 4.6% Crystal 60L, 4.6% Chocolate Malt and 1.8% Black Barley
Mashed at 69c and Cascade FWH to 26 IBU
Pitched Safale s-04 into 17 litres at 1.052 @ 18c

I'd like to beef up my next attempt and am wondering if I should just up the ingredients in equal amounts?

I take it from your amusement that you think the mathematics are off? Not my calculation I must admit, but with a bit of real world rounding (to nearest degree) it has never put me wrong with hitting initial mash temps. Maybe you can correct the maths if you know better.
haha, that math is probably correct, I'm not trying to offend just Lyerbird is the math brewer that takes things to a level far beyond the homebrewing needs for calculating stuff.

you said it turned out like flat coke? What was your carbonation target?

Latest posts

Back