First Stout - it's gone berserk!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would not bottle until you have reached a stable gravity for several days. 1.022 is a touch high, and I would expect it to drop some more. Once you reach FG and it's stable, THEN bottle. Otherwise you risk over carbonating and all the bad things that happen with that.

If it's been fermenting warm, aging will also help level out some of the Fusel Alcohols that may have been produced, but this is more of a months in the bottle type deal depending on how 'hot' it tastes.
Thanks @kadmium for the advice. Will be patient and try and use some of the tips to cool it down a touch. Any ideas what FG I'd need to look out for? Happy to be patient with this as I'll likely do a couple of pale ales for mid summer enjoyment.

Thanks again!

Hey, can't really say but a typical stout with typical yeast anywhere around 10.15 depending.

There's a few factors which go into it like yeast strain and ingredients

If bottling a fairly high gravity (ok it's not huge, but anyway) it might be worth considering bulk priming, and adding a bottling yeast, just an option, there's many ways to skin the cat.

Back