First shoots

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooterism

Reaction score
So the first shoots of the season, I cut them back right?

Attachments

• 1504249894878.jpg
    1504249894878.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 90
EDIT:
Leave them there until they get about 1/2 metre long. They're there at this point to build energy stores in the rhizome. Then whack off the biggest ones. These jack bines, the most vigourous of the first growth vines, don't usually produce many flowers. I've never done comparisons of trimming those versus not. It could be that the first bines are actually meant to give more power to the crown, while the others initially draw from it.

You don't necessarily have to cut any. The cutting is mostly for commercial production. However, I usually keep it to 8 or so per rhizome at the early stages, but once you have a full crown going, the sky's the limit, literally ;)

Last edited:
Yeah leave them now. Its Spring! Its hard to say how to cull. Keep main 3 Bines?, 4? 8?.
Learning learning I left all climbers go 8+ in big pots but I think better to cull smaller ones to have 3 to 5 main this time round.
The high growth is the productive. The smaller climbers dont yeild any hops but chew up a lot of energy. Cull them over the season.
That's my approach thoughts for this season. Higher growth.

Latest posts

Back