First Rye

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rowy

Drinker of Kegs, Slayer of Fish & Ruiner of Good F
Reaction score
Gents,
I'm going to do my first Rye this week and have put together a recipe. Keen for comments. I'm going with the Bramling Cross as I like the idea of the current flavours mixing with the rye flavour. Could be a mistake but keen to hear your advice.

Starnbergs Rye (English Rye PA)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.050 (P): 12.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (P): 3.3
Alcohol (ABV): 4.91 %
Colour (SRM): 12.3 (EBC): 24.2
Bitterness (IBU): 57.2 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

3.1kg Perle malt
1kg Munich II
1kg Rye Malt
250gms Caraaroma
100gms Melanoidin

25gms Magnum (12.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
30gms Bramling Cross (5.1% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
30gms Bramling Cross (5.1% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

6gms Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) @ 0 Minutes (Mash)
4gms Brewbrite @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 65C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 18C with Safale S-04

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Gents,
I'm going to do my first Rye this week and have put together a recipe. Keen for comments. I'm going with the Bramling Cross as I like the idea of the current flavours mixing with the rye flavour. Could be a mistake but keen to hear your advice.

3.1kg Perle malt
1kg Munich II
1kg Rye Malt
250gms Caraaroma
100gms Melanoidin

Rye is a weird "grain" and it takes a lot to get the flavor to come out. Most people think of the spicy character of rye bread, but the bread gets most of it's flavor from carraway seeds. Drop a kilo of the Perle malt and add another kilo of Rye to get a good flavor. I've heard of people making 100% rye malt beers, so 2 kg is far from too much. I've never used Brambling Cross, but the hop schedule looks good to me.

Good luck!

I'm brewing a rye ipa this weekend! here's my recipe:

5.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) 68.7 %
1.40 kg Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) 19.2 %
0.44 kg Crystal, Heritage (Simpsons) 6.0 %
0.22 kg Cara-Pils 3.0 %
0.22 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) 3.0 %
28.00 g Mt. Hood [5.70 %] - First Wort 60.0 min
40.00 g Magnum [12.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min
14.00 g Mt. Hood [5.20 %] - Boil 30.0 min
42.00 g Mt. Hood [5.20 %] - Boil 0.0 min
28.00 g Magnum [12.20 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days

7.3% ABV
76IBU
Mash @65
Wyeast 1272

I'm brewing a rye ipa this weekend! here's my recipe:

5.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) 68.7 %
1.40 kg Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) 19.2 %
0.44 kg Crystal, Heritage (Simpsons) 6.0 %
0.22 kg Cara-Pils 3.0 %
0.22 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) 3.0 %
28.00 g Mt. Hood [5.70 %] - First Wort 60.0 min
40.00 g Magnum [12.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min
14.00 g Mt. Hood [5.20 %] - Boil 30.0 min
42.00 g Mt. Hood [5.20 %] - Boil 0.0 min
28.00 g Magnum [12.20 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days

7.3% ABV
76IBU
Mash @65
Wyeast 1272

In my opinion, you probably shouldn't have a 30 minute addition in this kind of beer. I would drop that one and the Mt. Hood FWH and go with 20 g of Mt. Hood at each of these times 15, 10, 5, and 0 mins. I'm guessing that Mt. Hood is all that you have at the moment. It's not really used in IPAs that often because of it's relation to the noble hop family (primarily used in lagers and pilsners). Although, it should give you a good idea of the flavor profile of that specific hop. Everything else looks pretty good.

Just my $0.02.... :)

Good luck!

Just remember that come sparging, Rye will bring you to your knees as it is a notoriuosly hard grain to sparge. Make sure you add rice gulls to the mash to make life easier when sparging.

Thanks for the feedback gents!

In my opinion, you probably shouldn't have a 30 minute addition in this kind of beer. I would drop that one and the Mt. Hood FWH and go with 20 g of Mt. Hood at each of these times 15, 10, 5, and 0 mins. I'm guessing that Mt. Hood is all that you have at the moment. It's not really used in IPAs that often because of it's relation to the noble hop family (primarily used in lagers and pilsners). Although, it should give you a good idea of the flavor profile of that specific hop. Everything else looks pretty good.

Just my $0.02.... :)

Good luck!

Thanks mate!

Nope, I've also got cascade, Willamette and a heap of english varieties.

The recipe is a close variation of the tried & tested Denny Conns Rye IPA http://www.brew365.com/beer_dennys_rye_ipa.php
- only Columbus is sub'd with magnum, and i've upped the mangum for the 60min addition because my magum is 12.2%aa instead of 17 something.
EDIT: Here's a 73 page thread on this recipe! :blink:

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic....b114449ee503170

So normally I would agree with you, but in this case I want to see what all the hype is about. :)

Very timely thread !

Had a BeerHere 'Hopfix Rye IPA' the other night at Eureka BBC...my God it was good :icon_drool2:
This has jumped up to the top of the 'to do' list.

Someone speak up if they have a close approximation....pleeaase !

Gents,

3.1kg Perle malt
1kg Munich II
1kg Rye Malt
250gms Caraaroma
100gms Melanoidin

Hi Rowy.

I have used Rye quite a bit and will share some experiences with you shortly but first, I'm thinking you may need to tweak that recipe to balance it a bit.

Drop the melanoiden, and use 5% pale crystal or up to 10% caramalt to give it that ballancing sweetness and some "English".
Munich has a dry buiskety maltiness that wont balance the very high bitterness you have listed, and the melanoiden will only conflict with any rye character you manage to extract.

That's fairly bitter. I don't have a problem with that, i love a bitter beer, but in a 4 to 5% beer, i would drop it back to about 40 IBU because the oily slickness you will get from the rye kind of coats your mouth and holds any flavor and bitterness on there for longer, making it seem more bitter.

The hops.........they look great to me!

Mash...... should be fine

Boil it for 15 min with no hops. Let the break form before you start adding more stuff to the mix. Add a bit more water and boil it for 75 min and add your bittering hops at 60 min.

S-04 will rob the beer of any hop character you may hope to get. Go with a drier yeast strain.

Now mashing with Rye.

Use lots of rice gulls (for 1kg which will be perfect for this beer), use at least 2 liters volume of rice gulls, 4 liters if you have room. The stuff goes like glue and wont flow.

When you drain your mash and sparge it, do it slowly. The rye will aid with the slowness of flow, but if the rye has been cracked course, you will need to sparge slow to get all the goodness out of it. The wort runnings should look like slightly viscous machine oil when it flows. Rye is famous for hanging onto its goodness. I have found when you fiinnish sparging, if you leave the mash to dribble slowly while the wort comes to the boil, you get a small final runnigs thats like engine oil with all the rye goodness leaching out in the end. I dont know why it does it, but it does. Try and collect this and tip it in the wort to boil and add to the beers character.

and dont try and filter a beer make with rye........ the oily stuff just cloggs the filter ever 2 liters.

hope this helps

cheers

Hey Rowy,
I just made smurtos golden ale but subbed the ale malt with Golden promise, wheat with rye and munich with vienna and the results are really good but it's more of a heavy thickish type beer. It actually reminds me of what james squire golden ale used to taste like ages ago in the portland pub in Melbourne. I used 2kg in a 50L batch and had no problems in my Braumeister but I don't think ill be doing Rye in that recipe again....well ill go and get a beer now and decide shall I?
:icon_cheers:

Thanks for the advice gents! Already have the grain mixed and milled Tony but I'm going to slip into craft brewer tomorrow and get some rice and will add a hit of caramalt. This will up the ABV but that way it may balance out the bitterness you spoke about. Thanks again!

Awesome insights, thanks Tony

Gav did you have any probs recirculating with the rye? Did you need to use the gulls?

Awesome insights, thanks Tony

Gav did you have any probs recirculating with the rye? Did you need to use the gulls?
No I risked it and the Braumeister was sweet as with 2kg of rye in a 10kg grain bill. No Gulls here!

ADD: No worries with the Rye robust porter recipe on this website that we swapped a keg for grain either Kymba. Pretty sure it had quiet a bit of rye in it as well but 2kg in the malt pipe is as far as iv'e gone so far.

No I risked it and the Braumeister was sweet as with 2kg of rye in a 10kg grain bill. No Gulls here!

ADD: No worries with the Rye robust porter recipe on this website that we swapped a keg for grain either Kymba. Pretty sure it had quiet a bit of rye in it as well but 2kg in the malt pipe is as far as iv'e gone so far.
Thanks, that's good to know. And cheers again, that porter was mad for Christmas breakfast!

Rye is my standard in the golden ale along with vienna instead of munich. Throw in some homegrown chinook or victoria and it's my house ale.

I personally have had very few issues sparging with rye up to 40% of the grist without needing to add rice hulls. The one roggenbier i made with 60% rye had plenty of rice hulls and that needed it. I mill the rye separately, almost to flour to get as much of the rye goodness as possible. I tend to sparge faster (batch sparging) when using rye as i do notice it starting to set like glue. Not an issue for batch spargers. That said, rice hulls are cheap and a good insurance policy. Once a rye grist sets you are in for a world of frustration.

I struggle not to add rye to a grist these days. At 20% it changes the mouthfeel - thicker/oily. At 60% it was quite oily and dominated the malt flavours. Yet to do a 100% rye, waiting for a bout of masochism to hit......

My comments (2c) on the OP recipe.

IBU far too high, you won't balance that. I'd wind that back to 30 (personally), 35 max. You said this is an english pale ale and they top out at 40 IBU but most i have tasted are in the 30-35 range. In an english beer i wouldn't bother using munich, your base malt plus the rye should be the focus. Ditch the Melanoidin for the same reason. 5% crystal. KISS. Defintely agree on that yeast having to go, S-04 is horrid. You want something neutral for the hops/malt or something english that helps by bringing some nice esters to the party. Windsor perhaps but i would be more inclined to use a liquid yeast, i just don't find enough of the english character in any of the dried yeasts. Nottingham is as english as beaches and sunshine.

In an english beer i wouldn't bother using munich, your base malt plus the rye should be the focus.

+1

I was going to say that too but forgot to put it in. You wont need it if you color it up with some crystal malts and it will detract from the rye character.

Munich is a base malt for making mainly German beers with a beady malt profile. That's why most Munich malts tend to come from Germany as apposed to England

Back