First Recipe About To Go Any Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mercs Own

blabla
Reaction score
The b3 is about to get it's first run so I thought I would give you guys a look at the recipe in case anyone had a comment/advice on ingredients etc

8.5k pale
1.5 munich
.5 crystal 60l

mash at 68 (dough in at 76?)
I forget at what temp I should sparge at

Boil one hour
perle 40g @ 60 mins
Willamette 30g @ 30min
Tettnanger 20g@ 15 min
willamette and tettnang 10g each @end boil

2 (maybe three) x Safale 1056 dry yeast

og 1058
srm 8.8
ibu 34.2

The only reason I am using pearle is I have some in the fridge.

what style if any are you trying to brew?

what is the batch size?

I'm not familiar with safale 1056, so can't comment on that one.

Recipe looks good but can I recommend that you simplify a tad.
Try just Pale and the same percentage of Crystal malt, one hop for bittering and one for late hopping.

Simpler (for the first number of brews) can be better rather than a jumble of ingredients where you don't know what did what to your beer.

What do you think?

tdh

Make sure you've got an extra few litres of dough in water in your HLT & a couple of litres of chilled water handy incase you miss your desired mash temp (I'm assuming you'll be adding more water to the HLT & re-heating for the sparge). Any other problems from here on are not that time critical.... So RDWHAHB...

May your sparge be slow & your boil hard :beerbang:

Asher for now

I agree with TDH - especially as it is the first brew on a new system.

Simpler gives you a nice start for working out the eccentricities of your new system and a great base to start experimenting from.

Batch size is 38 litres and the style is American Amber Ale. Sorry: Safale US56 there is a spec sheet on the pubs forum I think.

RDWHAHB??????

I am doing a 2.1 litre to kilo mash ratio is that enough? Yes Asher I will be reheating water for sparging in the hlt and thanks for the advice re chilled water I hadnt thought of that. I do wonder if 68 is too high to mash?

I agree simpler may be a more sensible way to go..... but I am in a hurry! No doubt when you tell me "told you so" I will have to cop it on the chin which I promise to do! But This will be the first one so any advice regarding the recipe will be welcome.

Strike water temp should be ok at 76 deg. Make sure you take notes, as this will determine the strike temp next time.

Mash at 68 for Amber ale. More common is 66, but 68 shoul be fine for the style.

Mash at 2.5 litres per kilo of grain. This is the best starting point, and the most common ratio. There are good reasons to vary this amount but not for starter recipes.

Sparge at 72-75.

Mercs Own said:
RDWHAHB??????
RDWHAHB = Relax Don't Worry Have A Home Brew

Mercs Own said:
I am doing a 2.1 litre to kilo mash ratio is that enough?
I'd go for a thinner mash. Say 3 litres/kg

Mercs Own said:
I do wonder if 68 is too high to mash?
That is what you are aiming for. If you end up with 66-68 it will all be good.

Good luck,

Beers,
Doc

Mercs Own said:
The b3 is about to get it's first run so I thought I would give you guys a look at the recipe in case anyone had a comment/advice on ingredients etc
[post="75576"][/post]​

You gotta post some pics of that baby in action!!!

I'd simplify the number of hop additions too...

Agree with Doc - 3 litres per kilo is a good start especially if you plan to recirculate your mash (now or in the future).

68 degree mash temp will be fine... Remember your mashing in an un-insulated ss pot.... So heat loss will be an issue. A higher initial temp should help offset this a bit hopefully...

Sparge @ 75

Hop away as you please I say... Just have everything weighed up and ready to go in the boil before you start. Including your flocculent... Its amazing how often this gets forgotten in the last ten minutes as you rush around getting ready to cool......

More words of wisdom... The reason you have the male quick disconnects on the equipment and female on the hoses is so you can disconnect them with one hand whilst still holding your beer in the other....

Asher for now

Hey Merc Own,

How did the first brew go ?
Haven't heard from you since this thread, so hope it all went well.

Beers,
Doc

Back