First post. Morgans Blue Mtn Lager 1 vs 2

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobSnoo

Reaction score
I've been on this forum for a bit researching, stealing recipes, reading etc, and nothing grinds my gears more than some bloke posting up a recipe with a 'does this look good, help me' thing and getting a heap of responses from helpful brewers then the OP not going back to the original post to say whether the beer was good or shite. Shits me to tears. So I'm here to skew the convo back to the right direction.

I brewed AG a few years ago but just started again in K&K form as a joint thing with my 17yo son.

Our Morgans kit came with a lager pack so we made it EXACTLY to instructions. Tin of lager, 1kg of body blend, packet yeast, brewed as close to 25°c as possible (exactly as i have ferm temp control).

So we did that and i had to cold crash for 3 days at 1°c as it smelt like the shit I used to brew a lifetime ago. We bottled it and it is currently carbing up. I am (not) looking forward to drinking a glass of it in 2 weeks time.

What i am going to do though, for my son's education, is brew the same tin of goo, the same 1kg body blend but add steeped saaz and hallertau (5 mins @ 100°c) and ferment at 10°c with 34/70, with a drest at 20°c when it's 5 points above FG, then cold crash for 7 days, bottle, leave at 18°c for 2 weeks then lager at 1°C for 2 months.....yeah a long process but it's for my son to show him a few techniques. We will then compare Lager 1 vs Lager 2 and report back here on the results.

I've got a Redback clone fermenting atm which I'll post in another thread. My aim is to get the K&K thread active and get some recipes happening.

The son and I sampled the Lager Mk I today after 9 days in the bottle. Exactly as expected. Tastes like cheap home brew. The son's tasting notes read 'vegemite and cheese in a bottle' [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. So now we are going to lager it at 1°C for a few months. Will report back here then...

Lager Mk II went in today.

Changed my plan to...
15g saaz @ 5
15g cascade @ 5
34/70 @ 12°, ramp ambient to 19° starting on day 4.

Ok so things didn't go exactly to plan. It had 8 days at 12°C and its on to day 3 at 19°C along with my fwk (separate thread). 24 more hours then cold crash at 1°C until Sunday when I'll have time to bottle.

The sample today tastes amazing. So clean, so fresh. I'm going to have bottle after 2 weeks carbing up but I will lager the rear for 8 -10 weeks with the lager #1 which tastes like vegemite, and do a proper taste test then

Latest posts

Back