First partial suggestions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke1984

Reaction score
Hi all,
Like every newby ive been doing kits for a while in Kegs, but wanna step it up a bit.

Hoping for something similar to JS, One Fifty Lashes

I recently bought

1 Can Coopers Australian pale ale
s-04 safbrew yeast
2 KG Pale crystal grains
50g Amarillo hops
50g Cluster hops
50g Willamette
50g Cascade

I have not got any malt or DEX yet,

Has any body got any recipe suggestions with my ingredients??

Careful with the hops because the Aussie Pale is quite well bittered, you would only need to introduce a bit of aroma without increasing the bitterness. 150 Lashes isn't a very bitter beer.

I'd look at mashing 2 kg of crushed Pale Ale malt (BB or Joe White) with 300g pale crystal. Boil the runnings for an hour and slip in only about 25g of Cascade or Amarillo, or a mix, ten minutes before the end of the boil.

I ran it through Brewmate and, if you want to bump it up to around 5% ABV then 300g of dex should do the job.

Now, that's a partial. As in "partial mash". If by malt you mean light dried malt extract or liquid malt extract, then that's not a partial... it's a "kits n bits" as no mashing is required (crystal can just be steeped, it's already mashed in the husk).
If you want to do it that way, and there's nothing wrong with a kits n bits to explore spec grains and hops, then steep the crystal malt and just add a kilo of LDME plus some dex as you would normally do with a kit brew. You can boil some hops briefly in some of the resulting wort and just tip into fermenter, the green stuff will settle out ok.

Thank you
i think will just stick with a kit this time and add the crystal malt 20g cascade and 15g of amarillo.

have you had experience with 04 yeast changing flaour of beer dramatically around 1 week after kegging and carbed??
i have had a few issues with my beer. tastes great when i rack into keg. i carb at 30psi for 2 days then wind it down to 6 for serving. on the 3rd day it tastes great but by around day 10 it starts to get an unpleasent flavour and overpowers the hops and everything.

i am crazy about sanitizing . i pull my kegs apart everytime and soak everything in pbw and then rinse with water then rinse with star san. and i have replaced all my co2 lines and fittings.
any suggestions?

I posted this somewhere else recently but I'll post it here too, you might be useful. I've been working on 150 lashes kits and bits clone for a few brews now and I reckon I'm pretty close. Recipe for my latest iteration is:

1kg Light DME
500g Wheat DME
600g Dex
200g CaraMunich1 steeped

Galaxy 20g @ 60
Willamette 30g @ 10
Nelson & Amarillo 20g each @ 1

If I was to adjust for your ingredients, I'd do something like:

Coopers Pale Ale tin
500g Wheat DME
500g Dex
200g Crystal steeped

Willamette 30g @ 10
Nelson & Amarillo 20g each @ 5

You could up the dextrose for more alcohol but that should give you ~4.2% in the keg which is bang on for 150 Lashes.

Hello tehcrucible I know this is a silly question but what is the method do you put all the malts and Dex in the water bring to the boil then steep the caramunich boil for an hour add the galaxy boil for 10 add willamette boil for 1 min add the rest..I'm sorry I don't understand as I only use a can and sugar willing to try something new ....also is this what they mean as partial

bonk1972 said:
I know this is a silly question but what is the method
No such thing as a silly question. The process for my recipe goes like this:
  • Steep the grains in 1 litre of water. I just throw them in a saucepan in the fridge overnight. Strain, keep the water and put it in a pot. Rinse with another litre of hot water and keep that water for the pot as well.
  • Add tapwater to the pot to make up to 8 litres (your going to lose a few litres due to boiloff when boiling for an hour). Bring to the boil.
  • Turn off the heat for a sec and stir in 750g of your dry malt. Bring back to the boil.
  • Add your galaxy hops and set a timer for an hour. Let that boil for 50 mins, then add the willamette with 10 mins to go and the nelson and amarillo in the last min.
  • Once your timer goes off, turn off the heat and stir in the rest of the dry malt, the wheat malt and the dextrose.
  • Cool the pot in an ice bath in the sink for about half an hour.
  • Strain the liquid straight into the fermenter, top up to 23L with water and pitch yeast.
Now if you wanted to make this with your existing ingredients, the major difference is you wont need to boil for the full hour because your Coopers kit is already bittered. Using your ingredients, I'd do this:
  • Steep the crystal grains in 1 litre of water. I just throw them in a saucepan in the fridge overnight. Strain, keep the water and put it in a pot. Rinse with another litre of hot water and keep that water for the pot as well.
  • Add tapwater to the pot to make up to 5 litres. Bring to the boil.
  • Turn off the heat for a sec and stir in 500g of wheat malt. Bring back to the boil.
  • Add the willamette and boil for only 10 mins and add the nelson and amarillo in the last min.
  • Once your timer goes off, turn off the heat and stir in 500g dextrose.
  • Cool the pot in an ice bath in the sink for about half an hour.
  • Strain the liquid straight into the fermenter, add the Coopers pale ale tin and mix properly, top up to 23L with water and pitch yeast.
I'm still experimenting with the dry hop to get the right aroma but your probably gonna wanna add 10g of Nelson and 15g of Amarillo towards the end of fermentation. Following this with your coopers tin, you could also swap out the Nelson for your Cascade to save you having to buy anything else. You won't lashes clone but it will be a bloody nice beer

And no, I think the correct term for this type of brew is "kits and bits". A "partial" would require some kind of mashing of grains which we're not doing here. The crystal/cara-whatevers are technically already mashed for us and steeping is just soaking the sugars out of them. Hope that helps. I'm actually writing a pretty comprehensive step by step for this recipe with photos and all that on my website but it won't be up until I get it right. Feel free to ask anything else in the meantime.

Thanks for your in depth method I now have a better under standing of the process....I might have go at this next step now as I'm only at the stage of using a can malt and dextrose ... But 2 weeks ago I took a step on the wild side and add finishing hops but I added them when I add the yeast but red here some where that I should do it 5 or 6 days after the yeast

Morgan's do a recipe for a 150 lashes style and I cannot make enough of it. A keg only lasts me 4 days. Do I have a problem.

Here goes:
1 can Morgan's Canadian Light
500 gr Dextrose
250 gr maltodextrin
250 gr light malt
1 x 15gr Amarillo hops
1 x 15gr Nelson Sauvin hops
1 x Saale S-04 yeast

Mix can and blends as normal, steep Amarillo hops for 20 min. Then add to brew. Leave to ferment for 3 to 4 days then add Nelson Sauvin hops dry to the fermenter and wait until finished.

Good luck

Sounds like a brilliant 'knock off' using a kit.
If anyone is having difficulty accessing Morgans then the equivalent Coopers substitute would just be a tin of Coopers Canadian plus a box of Brew Enhancer 2.

Back