First partial mash - odd flavours in primary fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glengine

Reaction score
Hi all. Just joined the forum and will just start by saying thanks to everyone who posts here offering advice. I've read a lot of threads on this site that has helped me get going with brewing over the last year and I've made some great extract brews.

A little over a week ago I decided I'd try a small BIAB batch (10L) - American pale ale. I was initally going to just use grains but on brew day got worried about only putting 10L into a 30L fermenter so I adjusted my recipe to use what LDME I had left in the cupboard which allowed me to brew a 14L batch.

All went good on brew day (except chilling the wort took over an hour even changing the water bath numerous times and using ice blocks) and tasting a sample from the fermenter tasted really nice.
Today I took a hydrometer reading to make sure fermentation was ok - all good, it has reached estimated FG. The smell was great but it had a earthy / yeasty taste and the aftertaste reminded me a bit of Carlton draught (which I really don't like). I haven't really had this issue with my extract brews (the one lager I tried tasted a bit off at bottling time but was fine after conditioning in the bottle).

A bit of reading would suggest this could be a few of things.
1. Old grains, too finely cracked grains, too hot temperature during mash casuing tanins to extract etc.
2. The flavour of the hops. I used only Glacier hops, they were quite old, but had always been kept in a freezer and still smelt good (and had a nice distinct bitterness / flavour as I was tasting throughout the boil).
3. There is just a lot of yeast still in suspension (I used Safale US-05).

Though when finding those possible causes, it was generally relating to when having a finished beer from a bottle or keg, and didn't talk about taste from the primary fermenter.
So, if it was issue 1 or 2, should have I noticed this on brew day? If it is issue 3, can I assume that this should clear up after bottling and conditioning? Am I worrying for nothing and should I be expecting this when using grains rather than all extract?

Cheers.

Could be any number of things but my current vote goes with reason number 3. Wait and see, regardless.

I agree with Manticle, just wait and see - as I see it the only failure you can have as a homebrewer (or anything really) is repeating the same mistake twice or more. Even if the batch end up being a tipper (undrinkable) then you can learn something by going all the way. 1 or 2 may not've been evident earlier, although tanins are very obvious when you taste them and if you haven't hit their astringency on earlier tastes then they're unlikely, and the hops as well there would be more likelyhood of spotting a problem with earlier tastes. 3. Well yeah a lot of yeast and junk in suspension could be the culprit... I'm sure there's other things that it could be as well, good luck and I hope it settles out and you get a tasty brew!
:chug:

Thanks guys. I bottled this just over a week ago. The yeasty flavour definitely lessened by the 3rd week in primary and after cold crashing it for 2 days before bottling it was even less again. Hopefully this means the remainder of it will settle out in the bottle. Might try one this coming weekend to see how it's progressing.

Latest posts

Back