First Partial....Jet's Fat Yak

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fu ManBru

Reaction score
So about a week ago I tried my first partial on brew day.

The following process was gleaned from this forum and the internet in general.

Given I'm new to this process I would appreciate any feedback, hints etc to make it better next time around.

1. I kicked off by heating 5.5L of water up to 74C. I read a bit about water to grain ratios and thought this was about right. Keen to hear peoples thoughts on this? 2.1 kilo of grain was used.

2. Put a bag in the pot and added the grain - mash temp was 68C

Mash.jpg

3. I found if I flipped the lid of my Big W 19L pot it would just fit in the oven.

4. So in the oven for an hour

5. After 60 mins I took out of oven and pulled bag from pot, sat in colander and sparged.

Sparge.jpg

not too happy about this stage as colander was too small and I'm thinking of a 2 bucket launter as described in Lord Raja Goomba's excellent post.

6. Anyways, sparged with 9L of 76C water

7. I ended up with 13 L of wort which I brought to a boil.

8. 45 mins into the boil I added the LME tin then hops according to recipe.

9. After 60 mins I put the pot in the baby bath (minus the baby) with ice.

Chill.jpg

10. Once cooled to 25c I poured wort in fermenter and noticed this.....

Burn.jpg

bugger, reckon it was the LME? Should I put it in later or take of the heat while I mix in?

11. I topped up fermenter with filtered water and pitched the yeast (at 22C).

And there it is until bottling day.

Overall, I was pretty happy how it went and was lucky to have my bro-in-law helping. Keen to keep going with the partials, the tastings out of primary have been really good and no hint of a burnt taste luckily.

Cheers

yeah i reckon you are right. looks like undissolved LME to me. I wouldn't worry about it too much to be honest. I would add it after you take it off the heat, but before the ice bath. The elevated temp will help you dissolve the malt (either liquid or dry) just make sure you keep stirring it. Dry malt can be a pain to dissolve, but so long as it gets into the fermenter the yeast should find it and eat it, even if it isn't dissolved. The problem this creates though is that your hydrometer doesn't take into account undissolved sugars.

Hey mate, it looks a good brew. How was your conversion? How much LME did you use on top of the grain?

Cheers!!

Cheers Alex, I'll take the wort of the boil and add the LME next time. Might bottle on Show Day and have another go on Saturday.

Shacked, added whole tin (1.7 kg) of Coopers Pale Ale LME. Stumped me with the conversion question so had to do a bit googling and found an online calculator which came out at 60%. The gravity after sparging was 1031 for 13L, this went up to 1070 after LME addition and then down to 1040 after I added water to 22L.

Any suggestions for a partial recipe? After a bit so a summer brew that will ferment at 18-20C (no fridge yet).

I reckon you'll be ok mate, I just add my remaining extract at flameout, the temp is still plenty high. also i only use Dry Malt Extract which i find good to measure out and work with, when dissolving just stir constantly :)

Latest posts

Back