First Lager In New Brew Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

On the back bloody porch!
Reaction score
G'day
Maybe going to do a lager in my new brew fridge on the weekend. According to my new digital thermometer its sitting at between 6-9 deg (fluctuates a bit) on the warmest (lowest) setting. Cant afford to buy an external thermostat at the moment to get it up to 12-15 deg. Question: if I used saflager is 6-9 degrees too cold given that the brew actually generates (apparently) 3 ish degrees when brewing? Shall I just suck it and see? Thoughts?
Cheers
Steve

Steve said:
G'day
Maybe going to do a lager in my new brew fridge on the weekend. According to my new digital thermometer its sitting at between 6-9 deg (fluctuates a bit) on the warmest (lowest) setting. Cant afford to buy an external thermostat at the moment to get it up to 12-15 deg. Question: if I used saflager is 6-9 degrees too cold given that the brew actually generates (apparently) 3 ish degrees when brewing? Shall I just suck it and see? Thoughts?
Cheers
Steve
[post="84154"][/post]​

I had the exact same situation when I did my first partial mash lager and used the same yeast. It came out fine. It may take a little longer to ferment out but it did the job with no noticeable negative results. I can't remember what the diacetyl production of that yeast is but I gave it a rest.

Thanks Aaron - I might just chuck it in and see. At least I know I wont have any problems getting it down to 2 degrees to cc.
Cheers
Steve

Steve said:
G'day
Question: if I used saflager is 6-9 degrees too cold given that the brew actually generates (apparently) 3 ish degrees when brewing? Shall I just suck it and see? Thoughts?
Cheers
Steve
[post="84154"][/post]​

Steve - The Brewcraft website gives the recommended brewing temp range using Saflager at between 9 and 15 c. I have found that my current lager is fermenting at about 12 c. with the Gro-temp thermostat set at 10.c. The closer to double figures you can go, the better. It may still work lower but I would think that it would take a hell of a long time to finish off.

Hogan.

new brew fridge on the weekend

Is it a brand new fridge or an old second hand fridge? If it is old you could possible find the end of the thermostat ans move it (bend it ;) ) to the coldest area in the fridge, this could raise the temp by a degree or 2.

yeah Jye - its a second hand one (fairly old). The thermostat is at the top near the cold pipe bits and look as if it could be bent. Worth a try! Cheers Jye
Steve

You may also find that the heat from the fermentation (in the first few days) keeps the temp up a degree or two. This is what happened to me with my fridge. It depends on how much grunt the fridge has - my one is just a little wine fridge and I think it is pretty weak.

TD
Thats what my LHBS guy said. He reckons it would generate its own heat to bump it up a bit. Thought id ask the same question here to get an idea of what everyone else recommends.
Cheers
Steve

A method I used prior to buying a thermostat(TS-040) was to use an electric timer switch thingy(The ones you use when you go on holiday and everyone thinks your still home......). Just set it to 45min on and 15min off or something like that. My local hardware had a twin pack el cheapo brand with one year warranty for around $10.00.

Latest posts

Back