First Kit Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad81

Reaction score
Hey all,

Not to rule out all forms of brewing, I got given a Cascade Chocolate Mahogany Porter from a guy I met through ebay.

So recipe is as follows:
1.7kg Cascade Chocolate Mahogany Porter (tastes nice out of the can)
500gm raw sugar
500gm brown sugar
3L Boiling water with 23gm Amarillo boiled for 10min
Safale US05

Got an OG of 1044, will have to see how it turns out. Looks nice and dark :)

Cheers,

Brad

I've gotten a really good beer out of that kit, still got a few of them left somewhere :p

Have they been phased out?

I'm thinking that this might be a good idea to use up additional hops....

As in I have a few tallies tucked away somewhere :chug:

Tipped this one out last night.

After 2 and a bit weeks with US05 and some Amarillo it only reached 1014, and tasted foul.

I reckon the kit was out of date.

Might try this again in the future, but only really used it because it was given to me.

Didn't let it mature in the bottle?

I had a cider that was gag worthy and I ended up leaving it, tried one after 3 months, it's getting better!

Really wasn't keen on bottling it after bottling 22L of cider. Maybe I should've left the Amarillo out.

My brother brought a few kits back from tassie a few months ago and brought me back one of those so I thought I would experiment with it and it turned out pretty good for a kit.

I used:

1 Can of Cascade Mahogany Porter
1kg LDME
200g of chocolate malt steeped
15g of Cascade hops boiled for 15mins
Coopers Pale ale yeast harvested from bottle

I got some of those banana flavours from a higher fermentation temperature by mistake but it actually complimented the beer pretty nicely.

Back