First Infection

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyBoucher

Reaction score
I've been extract brewing on and off for over 10 years and I recently picked up an old fermenter off my old man so I could occasionally do 2 batches at the same time. Judging by the state it was in I'm, actually pretty sure it was an old one of mine that I lent him about 10 years ago and didn't look like it had been used much since.

Put down 2 FWK's last weekend and despite what I thought was a lot of scrubbing, a lot of cleaning (sodium percaronate) and a lot of sterilizing (star san) I've got a funny smelling and pretty nasty tasting brew on my hands. The brew I put down in my regular fermenter smells and tastes fantastic.

I must say I was a little unsure about whether to use the fermenter or not and I'm a little pissed off with myself for wasting a half hour cleaning the bloody thing and $50 bucks worth of ingredients. Well at least it was a valuable lesson learnt..... SANITATION, SANITATION, SANITATION.

Time for a new fermenter now...

Thi
I've been extract brewing on and off for over 10 years and I recently picked up an old fermenter off my old man so I could occasionally do 2 batches at the same time. Judging by the state it was in I'm, actually pretty sure it was an old one of mine that I lent him about 10 years ago and didn't look like it had been used much since.

Put down 2 FWK's last weekend and despite what I thought was a lot of scrubbing, a lot of cleaning (sodium percaronate) and a lot of sterilizing (star san) I've got a funny smelling and pretty nasty tasting brew on my hands. The brew I put down in my regular fermenter smells and tastes fantastic.

I must say I was a little unsure about whether to use the fermenter or not and I'm a little pissed off with myself for wasting a half hour cleaning the bloody thing and $50 bucks worth of ingredients. Well at least it was a valuable lesson learnt..... SANITATION, SANITATION, SANITATION.

Time for a new fermenter now...
This has been covered before too many times, half fill yer bath tub add a bottle 2L (quart) of bleach, soak, and rinse, it kills pretty much everything, of course the LHBS wants to sell you PBW and Starsan because they can't compete with supermarket bleach prices, disregard my advice if you are using stainless steel.

Same beer in both fermenters?
Different beer. I actually ended up kegging the one that I thought had an infection. When I had a taste test at the end of fermentation it wasn't great but it certainly wasn't undrinkable. Makes me wonder if it was an infection or I just really didn't like the taste of the brew. Or third option it is an infection and I have absolutely no standards when it comes to the beer I'm prepared to drink.

Thi

This has been covered before too many times, half fill yer bath tub add a bottle 2L (quart) of bleach, soak, and rinse, it kills pretty much everything, of course the LHBS wants to sell you PBW and Starsan because they can't compete with supermarket bleach prices, disregard my advice if you are using stainless steel.
I'll give it a go, better than buying another fermenter.

Back