First Hydrometerreading

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbiep

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am approaching day 4 of my first brew (23l), which is a Coopers Lager, with a German Lager enhancer and US50 yeastr, which has been fermeting in my cellar at around 19-20 deg.

When would be a good time to take my first hydrometer reading?

The Coopers instructions say after 3 days, then every day thereafter until the hydrometer readings stabelize.

Is it possible to over ferment your beer?

The reason i dont want to take too many readings is because the fermenter is quite snug in a water bath, ice and towels.

BTW.. i removed the Krausen collar and the beer smelt really good :)

Regards,
Robbie

Probably wouldn't want to smell your brew too much, as tempting as it is...It only increases the chances of an infection.I usually take a reading after 5 or 6 days to see where it is.
I've also left a brew for 3 weeks in the fermenter, as I work away...It turned out fine! Really cleared up given the extra time.

Thanks!

The only reason i opened up the fermenter was to remove the Krausen collar, but i wont open it up again.

If there is no harm leaving the beer in the fermenter after fermentation is complete, ill take readings from day 5 or so.

First reading should have been before you pitched your yeast.
Leave this batch till day 7 then take a reading, then another 2 days later and so on till you get 2 stable readings.
Then let it sit at least 5 more days before thinking about bottling.

leave in the water bath, take it out to do readings if you need to, be careful not to stir it up.

I take three readings only.

The first is post mash to measure my efficiency, however, this is not relevant to you as a kit brewer.

Then one to measure the OG into the fermenter.
Then one more when I'm ready to bottle, after at least two weeks in primary.

However, I do know where I expect my brews to finish. I've never had one not finish within expected final gravity range. The yeast will do its job if left alone.
Just don't bottle if the final reading is not as low as it should be, as it will only lead to bottle bombs.

And you are better off ignoring those published instructions you got with your kit, better to follow the stickies on the basics from this forum.

Hi guys,

After 7 days i took my first reading after pitching the yeast.

The first reading, before yeast was pitched was about 1038. The reading after day 7 is 1020.

Does this seem a little high?

I'll take another reading in 2 days time.

Regards,
Robbie

Oh, and the beer actually tasted pretty decent.. very drinkable. I think a few more days in the fermenter, plus some time in the bottles, add some carbon drops and drinking it ice cold.. it will be well worth the effort :)

Don't worry about removing the krausen coller, I just leave mine there until it's all done and throw it in the dishwasher. The less you mess around with it the better.

I normally take a gravity reading after about a week and then another one a couple of days later. Once it's stable I still leave for another couple of days to clear up. I've found that generally a couple of weeks is enough, then bottle. If the gravity readings are still falling though, give it another day or two and take another one. There is no rush to get it out of the fermenter.

Don't worry about removing the krausen coller, I just leave mine there until it's all done and throw it in the dishwasher. The less you mess around with it the better.

I normally take a gravity reading after about a week and then another one a couple of days later. Once it's stable I still leave for another couple of days to clear up. I've found that generally a couple of weeks is enough, then bottle. If the gravity readings are still falling though, give it another day or two and take another one. There is no rush to get it out of the fermenter.

Never thought to use the dishwasher... Going to do that now...

OP, My routine is a little different now but when I started I would leave it for 2 weeks and then check gravity wait 2 days and check it again, unless you were making something with a very high gravity it would be ready for bottling.

...and drinking it ice cold..

Why?
Thought you said it tasted pretty good.
You liked it out of the fermenter but then you want to hide that flavour by chilling it right down.
May as well drink an "ice cold" VB

slight mistake, current gravity sitting at around 1018-1019.

That does seem a little high. US05 usually attenuates to 75%, so you should expect a drop of that magnitude.

Did the temp get really low at any stage? Happened to me where the temp dropped to around 12 degrees overnight, and the fermentation stalled. Had to get the temp up to around 18 or so and give it a swirl (not a slosh!) to get it going again.

Why?
Thought you said it tasted pretty good.
You liked it out of the fermenter but then you want to hide that flavour by chilling it right down.
May as well drink an "ice cold" VB

Tasted good out the fermenter, but i like my ice cold, with some bubbles.

I mean, who drinks warm flat beer? :p

Did the temp get really low at any stage? Happened to me where the temp dropped to around 12 degrees overnight, and the fermentation stalled. Had to get the temp up to around 18 or so and give it a swirl (not a slosh!) to get it going again.

There might have been a few drops in temp overnight, but i dont think as low as 12 deg.

Well take another reading in a few days.

Tasted good out the fermenter, but i like my ice cold, with some bubbles.

I mean, who drinks warm flat beer? :p

Big difference between warm and icy cold. 7 degrees isn't exactly warm - you have a bath in 7 degree water and see for yourself.

Cold mutes flavour. That can be a good thing and cold on a hot day can be refreshing but do yourself a favour - taste your favourite commercial beer at 2 degrees and again at 10 degrees.

Any beer that tastes bad at 10 degrees is bad beer, even if your personal preference is for cooler.

Latest posts

Back