First Home Brew Success

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atariman2002

Reaction score
hi all thanks to the advice from this forum my first homebrew was a success....th friends and family like it.

my first was the lager that comes with the microkit from coopers

i am thinking about a canadian blonde now.........................what does it taste like........does it have a distinct difference from the cooppers lager?

is there an australian beer on the market that is fairly similar in flavour......i just dont want to brew up another same flavour beer

is it more bitter?

more fragrant?

honest answers appreciated

thanks

congrats, on your first brew!! Now you will have to keep up the drinking to your brewing!!!

Well done mate,

I have just opened the first few bottles of my first brew as well, and I too am now hooked on this new alchemy. My first brew was a disaster that I couldn't drink - infected - tasted like balsamic vinegar. This brew is a Blue Mountains Lager and its turned out tops. Iv'e got two more inthe process, one in the fermenter an all malt pale ale and a wheat beer just bottled.

hupnupnee said:
Well done mate,

I have just opened the first few bottles of my first brew as well, and I too am now hooked on this new alchemy. My first brew was a disaster that I couldn't drink - infected - tasted like balsamic vinegar. This brew is a Blue Mountains Lager and its turned out tops. Iv'e got two more inthe process, one in the fermenter an all malt pale ale and a wheat beer just bottled.
[post="82353"][/post]​

Oops just sent this in without realising. Should have ended....

Good luck

Tim

congradulations and welcome to the darkside...

canadian blonde from memory is a lighter lager then the origianl lager with less bitterness. check out my signature for www.hbkitreviews.com to help with your selection of kits.

I did a morgans canadian light which is similar to the coopers blonde with a brew pack and tettanger hops, came out a treat.

The Coopers Canadian Blonde kit is a lot lighter than the Coopers Lager kit. It's a good beer for the hotter months. You might want to add some extra hops to give it a bit more bite and aroma.

Good luck with it!

atariman2002 said:
hi all thanks to the advice from this forum my first homebrew was a success

[post="82324"][/post]​

Hey well done !

Now you can call yourself GMA , others have with less experience :lol:

It's a joke it's a joke :lol:

Batz :ph34r:

Good to see your peers like it Atariman :)

The Coopers "International Series" kits are way better than the "Original Series", so if you liked that lager you'll really like the Canadian Blonde.

It's not a bad kit & kilo beer at all...but far too easy to swill...could be a good thing! :chug:

PZ.

Canadian Blonde turned out very sweet and a bit "peachy" for me, mine was brewed at 14 degrees. It needs more hops for sure.

A good bit of hallertau, epsecially for flavour and aroma really helps this beer. I did one a few months ago, and did a quick saucepan boil of all the dregs of hops I had in the fridge. It ended up being saaz/hallertau/tetnanger, and came out brilliantly.

I've done 2 canadian blondes - but if I told you the story you wouldnt believe me!

Back to Coopers CB, as above , very light on in body, best with a body additive (malt), but with hops I'd be inclined to infuse the hops and not dry hop it. I'm drinking one atm that i dry hopped with hallertaur and its quite nice, but its taken 6 months to get to this stage - if dry hopping - go easy, unless your a cow and love grass.

As far as good aussie kit beers........... i kind of liked the coopers draught...... the premium one in the blue can and the plain one from the supermarket is good too.

I remember i brewed it with 2007 american pils yeast and it was great.

well done mate.........it will become an obsesion to make it better.

cheers

Sincere thanks to all of you..................

Its good to be a part of a forum who actually cares....thankyou

Well Saturday coming the Canadian Blonde is going in.

I want to try the Bavarian.....hell all of them

I cant believe how much fun this is and how good it tastes.

Thanks to all the friendly comments and a big cheers to the admins and moderators of the forum....JOB WELL DONE ON YOUR PART

Cheers to all

Atariman

:)

Just be careful with that Coopers Bavarian Lager...

The beer you have cranked so far will turn out fine using Coopers' recommended temperature range (so will the Canadian Blone and Australian Pale Ale), BUT the Bavarian must be fermented at a considerably lower temp (12-14 deg) or you will pay the price...trust me :)

PZ.

I made the Coopers Bavarian Lager and fermented it at around the 18-20C mark and it was fine, added too much malt though.. other than that it was a good beer ineed.

I'm with you finger bavarian is one to watch, I did one when they relesed them and it took nearly a month to brew out and 5 months befor it was drinkable. nearly chucked it a few times but in the end we got through it .... maybe if you were from tas this would be a better bavarian brewing climate...

Cheers and good luck

fnqbunyip

Congratulations on your first brew! I'm sure that you and your fellow swillers were pleasantly surprised by the result.

I am continually amazed by the number of people out there who still relate home brew to a bath full of potion, covered by a hessian bag, and exploding bottle bombs in the shed.

I can't wait to pluck up the courage and go the next step (AG), and my have my results imrove accordingly.

Those who currently enjoy my beer will be amazed.

M

Good onya and well done, I remember my first, and as others have said it is down hill from here but you will love it.
What realy got me making good beer was a book I found in a 2nd hand book store: "Mastering Homebrew" The beer maker's Bible by Brian Kunath. Bloody good read and covers everything.

Back