First go at bulk priming

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butters73

Reaction score
G'day, I would like to try bulk priming as I have had indifferent(usually overcarbonated) results from the drops. I don't want to rack to secondary so can I just boil the dextrose in a small amount of water and add it to the fermenter without stirring to avoid clouding up the beer? Should I give it a gentle stir? Do I have to cool the solution down before adding? Do I have to give it time before bottling? What are the usual priming amounts for a 23 lt brew? Cheers in advance. Kingo.

You can do it in the primary yes. Not my preference however it can be done successfully. You've basically got the idea right there yeah, you can give it a gentle stir to mix it evenly, if you're gentle enough it should mix evenly without disturbing the trub, maybe give it 5 minutes then bottle away. The amount of dextrose will vary depending on how much carbonation you want in your beer.

In my case, I normally make 25 litre batches and use 200g dextrose to prime with, so if I was doing 23 litres I'd go about 180g dextrose. I like my beers carbed on the higher end of the scale, though I don't find this amount results in over carbed beers. Some styles like porters I go less though (150g-160g in 25L), as I don't like them as fizzy as pale styles. I normally mix it up in about 300mL water so it's not too syrupy and mixes into the beer easily. You need about 10% more dex by weight than table sugar to achieve the same level of carbonation. In other words, 180g dex in 23 litres won't give quite as much fizz as 180g table sugar will.

If you're experiencing over carbonation with drops, maybe try 150g-160g dex in 23 litres to begin with, you can always increase it next time, or decrease it depending on your tastes, but that should be a good starting point at least. :)

Have a look at this. http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/ its what I used to use but now I use carb drops as the best choice because you dont expose or disturb your beer at all. Software like Beersmith also calculates priming sugar amounts too. If I was to bulk prime I would rack into the sugar solution in a secodary that has been purged with CO2. I drain rather than syphon by the full fermenter up on a table and the secondary on the floor. Silicon hose from tap to tap. You still need a gently but thorough stir to make sure sugar is evenly mixed or you will get varying carb levels in the bottles.

My patent pending bulk priming method is hilariously complex!

Measure out sugar into a big mug of required amount (I calc using beersmith)
Fill with boiling water and stir with big spoon, leave the spoon in!
Dump into fermenter and gently stir with spoon that was in mug
Leave for 10 minutes
Bottle!

Reman, I'm gonna have a go at mastering your complex patent pending priming method. Danscraftbeer thank you for the calculater link its now on my phone. Cheers to you all for the great advice.

kingo said:
G'day, I would like to try bulk priming as I have had indifferent(usually overcarbonated) results from the drops. I don't want to rack to secondary so can I just boil the dextrose in a small amount of water and add it to the fermenter without stirring to avoid clouding up the beer? Should I give it a gentle stir? Do I have to cool the solution down before adding? Do I have to give it time before bottling? What are the usual priming amounts for a 23 lt brew? Cheers in advance. Kingo.
Why don't you want to rack to a secondary to bulk prime?

If you are thorough with your cleaning and sanitisation, transfer the fermented beer under your priming solution and transfer slowly then there is bugger all change of any thing happening to adversely affect your hard-brewed beer. If you create a gentle whirlpool with the beer flowing into the bottling bucket then you don't need to stir the priming solution in.

If you transfer to a second vessel to bulk prime you will have a clearer beer and it is easier to disperse the priming solution (try getting an even distribution without stirring up your trub if you prime in the primary.

The other option is to use a syringe with a pre-made priming solution. Takes a bit of calculation, but you don't need to transfer or stir. Simply squirt the solution into the bottle and fill as normal.

JD

Funny I was just thinking about this and there was this post :)

Is this better than using drops ? I mean adding drops to bottle easy easy, so there must be a real difference?

I am finding using raw white sugar is a bit more head / gas...

thanks

I think the main advantage of bulk priming is that you can use various sized bottles over the whole batch and have the same carbonation level in each one. You can also tailor the level of carbonation much more easily and accurately. It's fine to say 2 drops per 750mL bottle and one for stouts or whatever but what if you want somewhere in the middle of that? You can't with drops, unless you want to faff around trying to split them in half. It's also a lot cheaper although this is a secondary advantage. I get 1kg dextrose for $3 which primes about 5 batches. Carb drops are about the same price but only do one batch. It's not a lot, but I suppose over a period of time it adds up.

I prefer transferring the beer to my bottling bucket where the priming solution is, but I don't bother purging it with CO2. I used to go tap to tap but now I find just putting the hose in the bottom of the bucket works better and gives a bit more of a whirlpool. I have to assume that these practices are not causing oxidation because none of my beers has ever had any off flavours in it that I would attribute to that.

I gave this a go yesterday https://www.dropbox.com/s/8cqr6u0l3oogzxv/2015-07-05%2020.17.18.jpg?dl=0
Worked well as far as purging the air from cube I bulk primed/bottled from, connected the hose to the tap and purged it that way.
Also pumped more Co2 in through the lid a couple of times during bottling. Just thought I'd give it a go. The gas comes from Air Liquide so it should be ok. I'll find out in a couple of weeks.

I use 160g boiled up in 500ml of water for 5 mins, then stir into FV, let it stand for about 10 mins and bottle, carb up nicely, better than drops. This is for 23L

Back