First Full-Size All Grain - Disaster Averted?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pommiebloke

Reaction score
So I'm back to brewing after a long break due to time constraints and kids and I tried my first full-size all grain today. After all, what else is there to do when a cyclone is raging outside?

Almost a disaster as the Rubbermaid mash tun my mate designed was a bit of a failure. The grains kept clogging the copper manifold at the bottom used a kind of a false bottom.

After much farting around and lateral thinking I salvaged the sweet wort by siphoning through a sieve within a colander sitting on top of the wort.

Anyway, all boiled and in the cube now, will be interesting to see how it turns out. Supposed to be a Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale.

At least the torrential rain should cool the cube down quickly.

cube.jpg

Can't help myself - Sure you're not Irish ????? The picture above is worth a 1000 words - chilling Irish style.
Hope it turns out well - Cyclone ale.
Cheers
BBB

Bada Bing Brewery said:
Can't help myself - Sure you're not Irish ????? The picture above is worth a 1000 words - chilling Irish style.
Hope it turns out well - Cyclone ale.
Cheers
BBB
LOL agreed BBB,
chuck it in the pool and it will chill heaps faster :p
Anyway, good effort on the full size batch.

Good luck with it!

Cheers,
D80

Diesel80 said:
LOL agreed BBB,
chuck it in the pool and it will chill heaps faster :p

I daren't put it in the pool, I'm afraid it might get washed away in this weather. :blink:

I'll just bide my time. Got a couple of bottles of Young's Special London Ale to see me through.

PB,

yikes those YSLA's aint cheap. No wonder you are starting into AG full batch size!

Pretty decent though, and i love the Fullers ESB and Prides too.
You tried the Sheapards Neame Master Brew? :icon_drool2:

Hope the beer turns out!

Cheers,
D80

Diesel80 said:
yikes those YSLA's aint cheap.
You're not wrong. But I still hanker for the English beers now and then.

YSLA is bottle-conditioned so I was thinking about harvesting the yeast and trying that for my next batch. Although next time I'm going BIAB to avoid the problems I had this time.
Diesel80 said:
love the Fullers ESB and Prides too
The local Dan Murphy's doesn't seem to stock these any more unfortunately although they have started carrying Theakston's Old Peculier which I haven't had since I used to get it on tap in my Uni days in Yorkshire.
Diesel80 said:
You tried the Sheapards Neame Master Brew?
Haven't seen that one around. Are they the mob who do Spitfire?

Are they the mob who do Spitfire?

Yep. The thieving baron (liquor baron) near me sell them.
I can't get enough of them atm.

The Old Peculier is a corker aswell. Top drop.

Cheers,
D80

Well I did another full-size AG batch yesterday (cue the missus - "You're getting obsessed with this brewing thing!"). But this time I did BIAB.

I think this system will suit me much better and the whole process was much easier all round. Helped that I already had a handy pulley system in the garage for lifting the grain bag.

23 litres of Best Bitter in the cube ready for fermenting. Just have to decide which yeast to use now. I was thinking maybe 1275 - Thames Valley Ale yeast.

Yea, those manifolds can be a learning thing. I've sort of had mine working and ditched it for a domed false bottom. Now that my kegs on milk crates and pavers rig is late I'd be doing some biab in the near future again.

practicalfool said:
Yea, those manifolds can be a learning thing. I've sort of had mine working and ditched it for a domed false bottom.
If I ever get the urge to go with a multi-vessel system again I'll definitely be getting a proper stainless false bottom.

Had a taste of the "Nelson Sauvin Cylone Ale" out of the fermenter last night and it's tasting bloody beautiful already.

The krausen on this thing has been ballistic, had to clean up and replace the clingwrap a few times as it was going nuts. Yeast was a S05 saved and washed from a previous batch. Has receded a touch but still active and it's down to 1.008 already.

Give it another couple of weeks, dry-hop for a bit and then bottle and wait - hoping it will be spectacular.

Latest posts

Back