First Fresh Wort Kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good stuff Beer! Have you had a taste? The exact thing happened to me. I recently brewed my first lager too and after 7 days I did a gravity reading and it was 1.010! I totally missed the diacetyl rest point! Doesn't matter though I don't reckon - I can't taste any buttery flavours. I must say, there is a very obvious difference between the taste of a lager and an ale - way more than I though it would be. I really like brewing lagers - I think I will be doing more and more now that I have a fridge.

Thanks for the response guys.

Yeh T.D I missed the rest as well, but because it still has a samll foamy head on the wort, i am going to rest for a few days anyway.. then rack and CC for a week or so.

I will have a taste in a few days before I rack and tell you the results.

Yeah, its a good idea to still give it a rest at ~20deg - I did this too, even though according to the book I had already missed the boat. Thank God brewing isn't an exact science!! :p

Well I rested the lager, and then today wanted to rack and CC it... unfortunatly, I only had 30ltr and 15ltr fermenters left to use, the 30ltr is too big for the fridge space i have, and the 15ltr is to small for the batch :angry:

So I had to rack twice :p.. Racked to the 30 ltr, then clean and sterilised the original 25ltr, then racked back to the 25ltr.. time consuming, but its sitting in the fridge at a happy 4-5 deg.

NOW... when I racked I noticed that my brew was cloudy as buggery (all brownish, no clearing), and it smelt like dog shit!!! literally.. is this normal? I mean my dog liked the smell, but I was not impressed, I couldn't imagine drinking "dog shit lager", even if its on tap :p

Did I stuff something up?

Cheers,

Beer

anyone for a bit of beer's "dog shit larger "
don't worry mate abit of cc'ing should fix that mine did'nt smell that good right though the brewing process.
the reason it was all cloudy was you stirred it up while racking it.
did you taste it before racking it if it tasted all right it only gunna get better ..... don't panic.. :beer:
i kegged mine the other day and put another one on this time with safale yeast havin a hard time keeping the temp down though,the missus is gunna spew when she gets home and fines the carboy in the bath that is half full of water anything to keep the beer goin well i mean ANYTHING!!!!!!!

Back