First Extract Beer, Not Settling After 10 Days In The Bottle.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JakeSm

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have recently attempted my first full extract brew and the whole fermentation was fine, no issues.
However, after about 10 days in the bottle the beers are still cloudy?? Any thoughts on this would be great, im assuming i should just wait a bit longer to see what they are gonna do, but all my other beers i have ever bottled have settled within a week in the bottle.

thanks guys any help would be appreciated.

cheers and beers

Jake

Hey Guys,

I have recently attempted my first full extract brew and the whole fermentation was fine, no issues.
However, after about 10 days in the bottle the beers are still cloudy?? Any thoughts on this would be great, im assuming i should just wait a bit longer to see what they are gonna do, but all my other beers i have ever bottled have settled within a week in the bottle.

thanks guys any help would be appreciated.

cheers and beers

Jake

What was the recipe? Did you crash chill? Large late additions of hops can lead to cloudiness. But i have found even a 10min apa will clear up after 6 weeks in the keg at fridge temp.

Once its carbed store it in the fridge and it will clear up in time if it bothers you.

Give it more time to condition say 3 to 4 weeks. Chill one for a week and see how it is then.

Cheers

How long since the brew was put down? Should give it 3 weeks in the fermenter and then bottle.

You can cold crash if you want it clearer by putting the fermetner in the fridge before bottling.

Give it time and then a few days in the fridge.

How long since the brew was put down? Should give it 3 weeks in the fermenter and then bottle.

You can cold crash if you want it clearer by putting the fermetner in the fridge before bottling.

Give it time and then a few days in the fridge.
Thanks everyone, i have decided to crash chill my beers from now on. Would 3 days in the fridge be enough? Also putting it down to it being a dark amber ale and it may look cloudy through the brown pet bottle??

Cheers guys,

Jake

Thanks everyone, i have decided to crash chill my beers from now on. Would 3 days in the fridge be enough? Also putting it down to it being a dark amber ale and it may look cloudy through the brown pet bottle??

Cheers guys,

Jake

3 days sub 4'c is about a,minimum, closer to 0 is better.. I think it was bamforth who said 3 days at 0 is better than a week at 4... Or words to that effect.. I try to leave mine between 5 to 7 days.

Cheers

You didn't happen to use a bunch of unmalted barley did you?

[EDIT: added a word]

Ok thanks mate, 5 - 7 days it is. Thanks for the helpful advice!!

Cheers jake.

I have the same thing with the DSGA that I had a go at (my first full extract brew). lol. It's still a bit cloudy, but I only gave it 2 weeks in the fermenter (usually I give at least 3 weeks) and it's been in the bottle for 4 weeks since. But the clarity is improving with time. I was a little impatient to see how a full extract brew would come out, next one will be given more time :rolleyes: .

Here's a pic of what mine looked like after around 3 weeks in the bottle. The pic makes it look a little more cloudy than what it was.

Usually a week in the fridge and they drop fairly clear.

Most of my beers don't last long enough to get crystal clear. Yeast is good for you I am usually into them soon as they are carbed up.

Yeah im the same, im into them staight away, though i usually have around 8 different types to choose from on the shelf so i keep about 9 of each batch and let them age. Trying 1 each month is awesome to see how they develop. But i dont think i could let them age all that long before i get into them. Hahaha

Cheers to fuzzy aswell for posting that pic, at least i know i wasnt the only one who had thought like this before.

Cheers jake

Back