First Extract American Brown Ale Recipe Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonmac72

Reaction score
For my next recipe I'm looking to do my first extract American Brown Ale. I've only done pales until now.

Here is what I currently have in stock:

LDME
US-05
Centennial 9.2 %AA
Amarillo 8.9 %AA
Dextrose
Simpsons Crystal Pale (50-70EBC)
Simpsons Crystal (140-160EBC)
Simpsons Chocolate Malt (1100-1300EBC)
Weyermann Carafa Special II (1100-1200EBC)

Here is my first stab but really not sure about Grains to get the necessary nutty/toasty goodness (using Ian's spreadsheet):

Ferment Volume: 21 Litres

LDME 2.4kg

Medium Crystal 120 250g
Chocolate Malt 1200 150g
Carafa 2 100g

Dextrose 150g

Centennial 20g 9.2 %AA 60 min 22.08 IBU
Amarillo 15g 8.9 %AA 15 min 7.95 IBU

Yeast: US05

OG: 1.053
FG: 1.013
IBU: 30.0
EBC: 53.6
Boil Volume: 11.3 Litres

Cheers!
Jason

I would really appreciated any help today as I'm wanting to brew this tomorrow.

Thanks!
Jason

For nutty/toasty you'll need something other than crystal.

Briess Victory would be my choice. Biscuit malt, vienna and to an extent munich* will give toast and nuts but need mashing (and the biscuit I think needs mashing with a base).

I'm not sure about the caramunichs, weyerman cara range etc as I've not used them much (except carafa special and cara-red and I wouldn't pick nuts or toast from those).

*more freshly baked bread/bread crust but complementary to the others.

Looks okay to me without doing a mini-mash. Go ahead and steep the crystal, chocolate and carafa this time. And then if you want to try a mini-mash, you can use the toasted malts to get more toasty nutty flavours.

I like a bit more hop character in my US browns. You could increase the Amarillo or add it later or both. IMO a bit of dry hopping works well in these beers too. About 1g/L is a good starting point.

Cool, thanks Josh & manticle. I will brew as is this time and will be interesting to compare next time with some toasted malts.

Keep in mind too that you can get some much better extracts now - particularly from weyerman and Briess. I'm not sure how readily available they will be for you but you can get munich malt extract from both companies and some other decent ones as well.

For what its worth, i did an extract version similar to the mongoose brown ale in the recipedb, which is meant to be similar to one of Jamils recipes from brewing classic styles. It came up a treat. For 26 litres:

3.3kg ldme
500g caramalt
225g pale choc
70g special b
300g dex

Cold steeped the grains overnight.

didnt have the northern brewer the recipe calls for, so i subbed in chinook and amarillo:

32g chinook @ 60
27g amarillo @ 15
43g cascade @10
32g cascade @flameout
64g centennial dry hopped at the end of fermentation

45 IBU

US-05 yeast @ 18 degrees

1057 OG, FG was 1014.

Strong hoppy and coffee aroma, first the caramel and coffee malt flavours hit your tongue, then the citrusy hop flavours take over. Its not a subtle beer. Goes down a treat this time of year.

Latest posts

Back