First ever kettle sour

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logan932

Reaction score
Hey guys little bit of a newly to brewing only been doing it for the past year or so. But I am planning on attempting a kettle sour for my next brew. And I was just wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions on when the best time to add 88% lactic acid to the brew so that I can achieve a lower Ph before adding lacto?

I add the lactic acid at mash in. There's a couple of recent threads on kettle sours with lots of tips and step by steps. Have a search but let us know if you can't find them

Do you add it straight away at mash in? Or is there a period of time that I should wait for? My girlfriend (a little bit of a chemistry nerd, but oblivious to beer/brewing techniques) said that it should take somewhere between 5-10 minutes for the mash to reach an equilibrium in pH depending on the concentration.

I add the lactic acid at mash in. There's a couple of recent threads on kettle sours with lots of tips and step by steps. Have a search but let us know if you can't find them
Do you add it straight away at mash in? Or is there a period of time that I should wait for? My girlfriend (a little bit of a chemistry nerd, but oblivious to beer/brewing techniques) said that it should take somewhere between 5-10 minutes for the mash to reach an equilibrium in pH depending on the concentration. Also if you could send me links to any of those kettle sour threads That'd be great I am struggling to find anything.

She's right if you're going to take a measurement and then calculate how much to add. If you're just going to add a predetermined amount you can just add at mash in.

She's right if you're going to take a measurement and then calculate how much to add. If you're just going to add a predetermined amount you can just add at mash in.
Okay great. Thanks for the help/confirmation. Will let you know how it turns out!

Enter the search term lacto and earle as the member and you'll get the threads

Latest posts

Back