First ever brew almost ready, considering raw sugar for carbonation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lovers Lane

Reaction score
Hey lads n gals

First time brewer here, about to bottle up his first brew in a few days. Have started off basic with a Morgan's Pacific Pale Ale extract kit, but would eventually like to get into using more organic methods (as per my lifestyle).

I am aiming to use carbonated drops per 750ml bottle, for my first brew, but I would also like to try using some organic raw sugar in a few of the bottles.

From researching online (and from this thread on the forums https://bit.ly/32OKflv) people seemed to have had decent success with using the CSR sugar cubes. If I substituted the sugar cubes for an equal part of raw sugar, would this yield a relatively positive result? Does anyone have any experience with organic raw sugar?

Any help would be appreciated! :)

I have never used anything else apart from good old white cane sugar for 20years and from what i've read other sugars wont make any noticeable difference to the carbonation process.

Don't think I would worry what sugar I would use unless Morgans extract is also certified organic.

Don't think I would worry what sugar I would use unless Morgans extract is also certified organic.

Indeed. Was more so beginning the journey into experiencing how organic materials react ^_^

I’ve been playing around with honey, molasses, etc. My personal goal was to maximize locally sourced ingredients.

sugars are sugars. That said, there is a taste difference as well as some difference in carbonation level (molasses seems to carbonate slower but longer)

I’d love to quote a bunch of numbers but that isn’t how I brew. I am low tech, take notes, and play with ingredients.

for consistency I am mostly back to using dextrose. For now

to answer your question, I would bottle half the batch each option, taste and compare

Latest posts

Back