First dark beer for winter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duarf

Reaction score
Hey, I have been brewing/drinking Dr Smurtos Golden Ale kit version (done to 20litres) for about a year and love it. Just getting down brewing techniques & throwing in some different hops. I used to enjoy an Tooheys Old in the colder months so want to put something down.. I like Coopers Dark Ale but find it a bit sweet for more than one brew.

The receipe I am considering:

1 tin Morgans Aust Old (or Iron Bark if better?)
1 tin Coopers Amber Ale
200g Medium Crystal
20g Willamette 10 mins
20g Willamette Flame out

20ltres

US-05 @ 17 degrees

Will this hit the mark or be a bit sweet?

Thanks

There are three types of "sweet".

One is where your beer has a lot of malty sweetness without the hop bitterness to balance it. Up the bitterness to "unsweeten" it.

One is where you use so much malt products that the final gravity ends high, and the beer tastes sweet. Replace some of the extract with dextrose to get the same OG.

One is in "big" beers over ~7% where the actual alcohol lends a sweetness to the beer.

In your case I'd recommend an IBU of 30-40 to make it "not sweet". What's the can's IBU?

OG

FG

IBU

EBC

From the sticky spreadsheet. Cans IBU is 32.9. Looks like it will be good then, last thing I wanted to do is crack one open and it be like desert.

Back