First Crack

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maximus_24au

Reaction score
Just bottled our first brew ever . We attempted the GREEN NECK LAGER. from the coopers recipe page . Only thing we didn’t achieve was correct brewing temperature due to being in Cape York .
Now for the hardest part . Waiting two weeks for a taste test
B5F6A617-AC86-4008-B152-C6E9FCCAB7D5.jpeg
EA3B6312-852E-413D-B3C7-7ABD542E471A.jpeg

Hi Mate

Looks just like my first brew about 5 years ago. It was the Coopers lager at around 24-26C. It'll be ok fermenting warm, the coopers yeasts are pretty hardy. My end result was fairly bland but it was cold, wet, fizzy and definitely beer.

It won't be a real lager, as Coopers put ale yeast in most of their lager kits, and they're meant to be brewed at ale temps, about 20C.

Keep the bottles over 18C - shouldn't be hard to do up there. I usually get stuck into mine towards the end of the first week, once they've carbed. IMO, there's not a significant improvement after 2-3 weeks, depends on the beer style. I think the 2 week thing is mostly Coopers making sure people leave them to carb up.

I just cracked my first All grain BIAB pale ale and got into them after 4-5 days.

Hi Mate

Looks just like my first brew about 5 years ago. It was the Coopers lager at around 24-26C. It'll be ok fermenting warm, the coopers yeasts are pretty hardy. My end result was fairly bland but it was cold, wet, fizzy and definitely beer.

It won't be a real lager, as Coopers put ale yeast in most of their lager kits, and they're meant to be brewed at ale temps, about 20C.

Keep the bottles over 18C - shouldn't be hard to do up there. I usually get stuck into mine towards the end of the first week, once they've carbed. IMO, there's not a significant improvement after 2-3 weeks, depends on the beer style. I think the 2 week thing is mostly Coopers making sure people leave them to carb up.

I just cracked my first All grain BIAB pale ale and got into them after 4-5 days.

I did a check on the yeast pack in the European Lager kit and it’s one of the few that actually use a Lager yeast instead of an Ale , but hey I’m not real fussy . Like you said . I just want full strength , cold , fizzy , beer

I did a check on the yeast pack in the European Lager kit and it’s one of the few that actually use a Lager yeast instead of an Ale , but hey I’m not real fussy . Like you said . I just want full strength , cold , fizzy , beer
Well that will be interesting to see how it fermented at higher temps. Lager yeast works at 9-13C. Did you check your starting and finishing gravities to see if it fermented out properly?

Yes Original Gravity was 1040 and Finished Gravity after 8 days was 1000 for 3 days in a row

Just bottled our first brew ever . We attempted the GREEN NECK LAGER. from the coopers recipe page . Only thing we didn’t achieve was correct brewing temperature due to being in Cape York .
Now for the hardest part . Waiting two weeks for a taste test
Hey, when is the taste test day? It would be nice if you could update us on how it turns out.

Welcome and good luck!

Update for all .
I’m very impressed for a first round . Nice and bitter the way I like it , a little maltier than I like but as can be expected being a “ Belgian style “ recipe . Very fizzy with a 1-2cm head , that doesn’t retain for very long but I’m not fussed about head anyway and it may be related to the 38 degree heat here where I’m drinking.
First few I poured into a couple glasses to prevent the sediment mixing but soon realised I could drink it straight from the bottle without the tiny amount of sediment mixing in .
Happy man indeed as I don’t go much for drinking from a glass . Usually working as I drink . I was butchering a farmers cow for him as I went .

Back