First crack at a Duvel clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should qualify that I meant "better" for under-modified malts. Slightly important qualification. I read on the back of a ciggie pack that under-modified malts don't like the peptidase so much (45-55). Although now that I think about it, I thought lagering dropped out peptides... And peptidase would chew peptides...

So which are "not fully modified"? I would say BB is definitely not in this category, but which Weyermann malts and what about Dingemann?

Weyerman is pretty well modified as far as I know*. I'd guess they all are, including dingemans** - I use their pilsner a fair bit and don't notice any major differences I could attribute to difference in modification.

Someone like Wessmith could give you more pertinent info.

*Possible exception being the Wey FM boh pils - just a faint thing in the back of my memory but don't quote me.

** Quick google search suggests Dingemans is well modified, suitable for single infusion. I'm pretty sure almost all of the malts available to us in AU are likewise.

It's funny you mention that. Reading through your rrecipe and posts and seeing you wanted some complexity, I thought maybe you should try 50% Dingemann and 50% floor malted Boh pils.

I used 2/3 FM BP and 1/3 Vienna in a pils with a touch of acidulated and a tiny bit of CaSO4. The Malt profile was delicious.

I just took a look at the www.candisyrup.com site and although they soar to use Belgian pils malt in all their recipes (Dingemann?) they do a protein rest on a lot of them - at 50-51°C. If the Dingemann malt is well modified, this contradicts what I have read.

Unfortunately, it turns out what I have read was in BYO, so about as much authority as the Courier Mail.

And those pictures on the website look very tasty...

So I still don't know. I do my protein rests at 56-57°C (just wheats and lagers) and they have been great. I pretty much exclusively use Weyermann but generally the standard pils and wheat. Maybe I should try 55 or 50?

And what about the splashing around?

I do 52-55 most of the time! Haven't tried a higher one.

I do short protein rests too adr0 but it's not because it's required (in undermodified malts you need to step mash) but because I like the results. 55 is usual for me although I'm happy with anything above 52 and it's only ever 5-10 minutes long.

Latest posts

Back