First Cider i can replicate the taste

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4feathers

Reaction score
Hi people, been brewin for a long time and like most of us we still experiment even if we are happy enough with our product. Been makin cider for a while and have always enjoyed it then i came across this Apple Cider recipe in one of the forums on this site. I have made this 3 times now and every time it comes out reliably very good. I have been trying for some time to get my lovely wife to have some nice cider instead of her Rum and Coke and this has finally shifted her thoughts. The only thing i changed was i used Organic Fresh Apple & Pear Juices from the cold section juices at Woolworths. It really is a nice drink with a reasonable kick with a nice mouth feel. Peter p.s i don't keg..

Red Rocket Brewery
  • Members
  • bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
  • 1,333 posts
Posted 11 January 2009 - 07:42 PM
Here is my tried and tested cider recipe that has cider drinkers quaffing for more

12 Litres 100% Apple juice no added flavours or preservatives (Bought from Aldi)
8 Litres Apple & Pear juice no added flavours or preservatives (Woolworths)
250-300 grams LDME (light dried powdered malt)
3-4 Apples granny smiths or Pink ladys cut into quarters added to fermenter
Wyeast 4766 Cider Yeast (this is imperative)

Ferment for 8-12 days then chill for 2 weeks at 2-3 degrees or cold filter
Keg and enjoy

Franko
Edited by Franko, 11 January 2009 - 07:46 PM.

thanks

4feathers
i've been looking for a simple cider recipe... to start increasing my repoirtoir... beer down pat, now need to learn a new craft :blink:

Yep, Franko's recipe is one of my old favourites...

Although I add a heaped teaspoon of yeast nutrient otherwise it can get a a bit of a 'rotten fruit' smell to it that puts you off.

Awesome.... I think I might give this a go! Just a quicky.. what type of alcohol are we talking here, and does it make a dry cider? Anything that it resembles in the way of commercial product?

Does anyone know if this will work the same with Ross dry Cider yeast? Is it at all similiar?

robbo5253 said:
Does anyone know if this will work the same with Ross dry Cider yeast? Is it at all similiar?
Franko says it is imparative to use the yeast he mentions. If you want to make the cider he's designed then you should use it.

The CB dry cider yeast will make cider though. I'm sure the cider will still even be good if it was going to be good with the Wyeast.

Personally, I'd try it as Franko designed it for the first one. The GB I make is based on his GB recipe and I'd trust him rather than saving a couple of bucks.

Hi ya all. could not tell you alchol content as i don't take records for my ciders other than taste of end product and which recipe.
I have found a HUGE difference in taste of end product and drinkability since i stopped useing reconstituted juices. The yeast used stops this from going too dry as long as you crash in cold as it says.
And yes go down the nutrient path as needed.
I can only comment on this particular mix of ingrediants and the outcome of said brew. Feel free to change all parts of it if you wish and you may end up with something even better.
This mix keeps me out of Dans while waiting for other brews to become drinkable, and i can replicate the result each time.
You can search for the thread and read the content if you wish, worth the read....See ya Peter
p.s don't try and mix dry LDME into cold liquid, mix with a bit of hotish water first.

Hi ya all. could not tell you alchol content as i don't take records for my ciders other than taste of end product and which recipe.
I have found a HUGE difference in taste of end product and drinkability since i stopped useing reconstituted juices. The yeast used stops this from going too dry as long as you crash in cold as it says.
I can only comment on this particular mix of ingrediants and the outcome of said brew. Feel free to change all parts of it if you wish and you may end up with something even better.
This mix keeps me out of Dans while waiting for other brews to become drinkable, and i can replicate the result each time.
You can search for the thread and read the content if you wish, worth the read....See ya Peter
p.s don't try and mix dry LDME into cold liquid, mix with a bit of hotish water first.

4feathers said:
I used to be anal about this back when I was kit brewing. Then I read somewhere that the yeast will eat all of the caked up LDME anyway, so I stopped caring and discovered that whoever wrote that, was dead right. ;)

yes ,thats the word to descripe LDME and cold liquid....caked and the other word is #%*#en hard to pour into Glass Carboy mouth..Peter

Anyone else trying this recipe?
I put one down 5 days ago and will report back..

Do we need to do anything to apples or they ok to just chuck in fermenter?

doon said:
Do we need to do anything to apples or they ok to just chuck in fermenter?
Yep. You need to juice them.

Chucking in apple chunks does nothing at all. Except maybe introduce wild yeast on the skins.

Cheers
Dave

Fair enough. Was wondering as recipe says just quarter and chuck into fermenter

You can try an experiment - quarter an apple and add it to a jug of water. Leave it an hour and taste. What you will taste is water. All the juice and flavour is locked up inside the cells of the apple (except right on the cut surface). If you want to get those flavours out, you need to bust open the cells.

A lot of people do put chunks in to supposedly "add some apple flavour to a kit" but if you gave them identical ciders, except that one had chunks in it and one didn't, as a blind tasting, I guarantee they would never taste the difference.

Cheers
Dave

Edit - and even if you juiced that amount of apples and added them to 12l of juice you wouldn't taste a difference either. Its under a cup of apple juice into 12l of apple juice.

I thought the purpose of the quartered apples was to make the cider cloudy....just saying.

Deep End said:
I thought the purpose of the quartered apples was to make the cider cloudy....just saying.
Not sure it would do that either. After all, floating some apples in water doesn't make the water cloudy. Cloudy cider is usually from fine apple pulp and pectins. Both of those are all locked up in a chunk of apple just like the juice and sugars.

Cheers
Dave

Hi people, hope some have had a go at making this. I make as is and it works ,tastes delicious and as of this morning have found i can tolerate the after effects [from over indulging last night] without too many dramas.
I may have to up the output as now my lovely wife is also enjoying the mix as well. She was a rum and coke girl and had issues with waking up around 2 in morning and not able to go back to sleep [coke] but after a few of these she sleeps well and no after effects. And just quietly she gets a bit frisky as well compared with rum and coke which made her a bit toey.
Got one coming out of the carboy today.
A mate has made one useing reconstituted juice and he was not as impressed with taste compared to mine and i would agree, the taste is not the same and even the mouth feel is different. He also noted that recon juice when turned into alcohol leaves you with a dry mouth early in the morning and a need to drink water but you don't get that with fresh juice.. keep brewin, peter

Back