First Cider Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fossey

Reaction score
Just checking to see if I'm tracking OK...

Started my first cider brew on 18 Sept.

I used a Mangrove Jacks Pear cider kit. I also added 2 kg of pear halves in natural juice (preservative free). Added 1.25 kg dextrose and approx 550g of Coopers Brew Enhancer 1, 2 teaspoons of yeast nutrient to accompany the kit yeast.

OG was 1060 and primary fermenter was a Coopers kit with the krausen collar instead of airlock.

Fermentation kicked off pretty quick and with gusto for 3 days and down to slow slow slow pretty much stopped by 26 Sept.

SG has been 1008 for a couple of days now.

My plan is to rack and stir in the pear flavouring that came with the kit, let sit for a couple of days then cold crash for a week or so before bottling. Will be bottle carbonating too.

Any advice re my plan will be appreciated, cheers!

I used a Mangrove Jacks Pear cider kit. I also added 2 kg of pear halves in natural juice (preservative free). Added 1.25 kg dextrose and approx 550g of Coopers Brew Enhancer 1, 2 teaspoons of yeast nutrient to accompany the kit yeast.

OG was 1060 and primary fermenter was a Coopers kit with the krausen collar instead of airlock.

Fermentation kicked off pretty quick and with gusto for 3 days and down to slow slow slow pretty much stopped by 26 Sept.

My plan is to rack and stir in the pear flavouring that came with the kit, let sit for a couple of days then cold crash for a week or so before bottling. Will be bottle carbonating too.

Never used a cider kit of any kind but I would suggest tasting it now before adding 'pear flavour'. You have a good whack of pears in there.
If it taste good as is let sit for a couple of days and bottle.
I wouldnt bother racking except to bulk prime for bottling.

Beware of the cider flavouring in the sachet. The one which comes with the MJ Apple cider is mostly artificial sweetener.
Shoppe

Cheers guys. Decided to rack and crash anyways as there is a fair amount of soft crud from the pear halves and suspended junk (yeast?) in the gravity samples.

The taste was draughty with a little underlying sweetness. Just need to bottle out the rough edges and hopefully nectar will prevail...

Back