First brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadBeatSab

Reaction score
hi all. Late yesterday I was finishing off my first brew. It is a mangrove jack lager kit which states that the yeast should only be added once the temperature is below 25 degrees.

So I waited until the temp guage read 24 on the fermenter, but once I stirred the yeast in the temperature soon went back up to 28 degrees.

I’m wondering if this is a result of the yeast reaction or was the wort still 28 degrees in the centre and only showed up on the guage after I stirred it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Also where do you guys get the screenshot from that I see posted with brew details? Is there a preferred app available?

Cheers

hi all. Late yesterday I was finishing off my first brew. It is a mangrove jack lager kit which states that the yeast should only be added once the temperature is below 25 degrees.

So I waited until the temp guage read 24 on the fermenter, but once I stirred the yeast in the temperature soon went back up to 28 degrees.

I’m wondering if this is a result of the yeast reaction or was the wort still 28 degrees in the centre and only showed up on the guage after I stirred it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Also where do you guys get the screenshot from that I see posted with brew details? Is there a preferred app available?

Cheers
I would do what you can to get the temperature down ASAP. A wet towel or pool of water underneath the fermenter with a fan is probably your best bet.
The yeast will raise the temperature once it gets going but this does seem to be quite a change, it's possible that your thermometer was picking up on the ambient temperature as well as the fermenter temperature - it can happen if there is a bit of breeze onto it. Not 100% sure on the yeast your kit is using but I would suggest getting it down to around 20 if you can (if it were a true lager yeast you would in the low teens).

so if it were above 25 degrees when I added the yeast it hasn’t killed the brew then?

Going forward I can regulate the temp easily enough I think. I have the fermenter in an old chest freezer that I can switch on or off . Maybe?

No the temperature would have to much higher than that to kill the yeast (50+ maybe) so your brew is probably fine. But fermenting at higher temps can produce some negative flavours and aromas, depending on the yeast and beer style. The freezer could work well but make sure you don't go too low and try to keep it at a steady temp. I would guess 18-20 degrees but without knowing the exact yeast you used this is only a guess.

Back