First Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
:beer: Hey everyone

I started my stout brew mon last week. I used the "Xtract" mix with a pilsner yeast (I was told it would lighten it up a bit), found it pretty easy. My wort was going nuts for a few days then slowed right down. I have been measuring the gravity and I don't think it is going to get any lower than 1.012. Am I ok to start bottling? It has been nine days. Assistance would be appreciated...

1.012 after 9 days is usually fine for an extract brew, the important gauge is whether the gravity has remained constaint over a period of 2-3 days or more (this is assuming that the temp has not dropped below the recommended temp for the yeast prior to the stablising of the Final Gravity).

:super: thanks for your reply. the temp has been stable, around 18 degrees, I was told that the Xtract mix would be good down to 8 degrees. The FG was 1.014 on Tue, 1.013 on Wed and 1.012 last night. I was worried because it may have been a bit cool for the wort. I think I shall start bottling..thanks again
nonicman said:
1.012 after 9 days is usually fine for an extract brew, the important gauge is whether the gravity has remained constaint over a period of 2-3 days or more (this is assuming that the temp has not dropped below the recommended temp for the yeast prior to the stablising of the Final Gravity).
[post="64738"][/post]​

:huh: I wasn't aware I had to measure the OG -stupid huh- I won't make that mistake again!!! I'm not sure what was in the mix, but I was told by the HBS that it is a good mix. It smells damn good though...thanks for your reply
bouncingcastle said:
What was your OG?
do you know what was in the "Xtract" mix?
[post="64736"][/post]​

blackerthebetter said:
:super: thanks for your reply. the temp has been stable, around 18 degrees, I was told that the Xtract mix would be good down to 8 degrees. The FG was 1.014 on Tue, 1.013 on Wed and 1.012 last night. I was worried because it may have been a bit cool for the wort. I think I shall start bottling..thanks again
[post="64746"][/post]​

Blacker

If the gravity is still dropping a point a day then my bet is that it hasn't finished.

I'd be leaving it till the weekend at least to see if the gravity stays at 1.012. It only needs to drop a couple more points in the bottles (plus the priming sugar you will add) and kaboom (or at least over primed and frothy).

Patience grashopper....

blackerthebetter said:
:beer: Hey everyone

I started my stout brew mon last week. I used the "Xtract" mix with a pilsner yeast (I was told it would lighten it up a bit), found it pretty easy.
[post="64734"][/post]​

Pilsner yeast? Did it have a brand/number on the pkt?
18 degC may be a touch high for a lager (pilsner)yeast. The stout may be strongly flavoured enough to hide any nasties though.

As with everybody. You want to see if your FG is stable over 2-3 days.

Also, when you take your SG, do it before you add the yeast :)

blackerthebetter Posted Today, 03:56 AM
I wasn't aware I had to measure the OG -stupid huh- I won't make that mistake again!!! I'm not sure what was in the mix, but I was told by the HBS that it is a good mix. It smells damn good though...thanks for your reply

OG is useful for measuring alcohol content and expected FG. Later when you start mashing it's essential for measuring extract efficiency.
At this stage the stability of the FG is more important.
Getting into the habit of taking OG will help with the whole learning curve though.

I tend to agree with Airgead and bouncingcastle as well. The rule of thumb is stable SG for around 48 hours before bottling.

Agree with others, don't bottle yet, wait untill it remains the same gravity for at least 2-3 days, then you will be good. To give you a rough idea adding the bottling sugar/malt will add around 4 points AFAIK to the gravity, if the brew is dropping one point a day and considering that you were told to expect 1.008, it would be wise to wait.

Like everyone has said, wait till the SG is stable for 2-3 days, you don't want any black bottle bombs going off.

Cheers
BradT

:excl: Hey all

I bottled my brew on sunday, takinbg on board your advice. I have used some of the totally weak plasto bottles in the cooper's kit...and some Grolsch swing top bottles...best excuse I've heard of to make some bottles empty...Do I have to steralise the Grolsch bottles? One q though...My bottles have a white film on the bottom. Is this normal? It is making me rather paranoid...

blackerthebetter, the white film on the bottom of the bottles sounds just like the yeast/sediment that is dropping out, if so, it is very normal for this to happen.

The white film on the bottom is just yeast thats falling out of suspension in your beer, and is completely normal.

And as for your other question, yes you do have to sterilise anything the beer comes into contact with, and that includes bottles.

:chug: Hey Itried a couple of the stouts. A light flavour as far as stous go, pours and holds a head well. At first it had a very bitter taste, which I did not expect. Could I some lactose to sweeten a little? My next brew will be a coopers dark ale with premium malt, dextrose and "maltodextrin"??? is that what it's called? Any suggestions??

Back