First Brew Woes!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idzy

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to create my first post (besides the welcome thread). The reason for my post is that I just had a sample of my first brew, it started on Tuesday and has finished primary fermentation. I understand that this means it hasn't been carbonated, hasn't finished conditioning phase, etc. but to be honest, I can't see how the flavour could dramatically improve that much...it just doesn't have any depth of flavour, not presence of bitterness, hops, fruit, nada, just really bland, maybe a hint or two of malt.

My brew:
I used a Cooper APA Kit with 1KG of Enhancer and can yeast, mixed extract and sugar with boiling water and put in the fermenter, pitched yeast at 24c and left it alone. OG was 1.045. I have a submersible heater with the kit so the fermentation stage was around 20-22c the entire time, I used a blanket to keep the temperature even throughout the barrel.

My question is, will this brew really improve massively with aging? Is it even worth bottling it, or should I just turf it and start again with some decent ingredients?

I started because I really enjoy drinking beer, but I enjoy drinking good beer. I am inspired to make a good drop, so my mind is racing at the moment. I was thinking today, I will go and buy another kit and try a second batch with some hops, etc. but the home brew shops must be closed for the long weekend! Sigh!

I really want to have a nice brew to enjoy over summer, but I don't want to go to the effort of bottling and aging if this brew is not going to taste that nice. I am really enjoying the process and am happy to go out and buy some more equipment, etc if it is going to dramatically improve the results...

What do you guys think? I am I just an impatient ignoramus? Appreciate all the help this forum has provided through the information and everything, really great!

Idzy

It will get better with age, but a straight out kit and a pack of enhancer will often leave you a little disappointed. Give it a few weeks in the bottle and it will be tastier though. My first brew was much the same, pretty bland, but I still enjoyed drinking it as it was something I'd made myself.

There is nothing wrong with brewing from tins of goo, but you can jazz them up a bit but adding some light malt extract instead of the enhancers, some extra hops and some steeped grains. All of those things are really easy to do and your home brew shop can point you in the right direction. My favourite kit was a pale ale kit with some light crystal malt steeped in hot water, a kg of light malt extract and some cascade hops boiled for a short time with the liquid from the grains.

Try this one next time.

1pale ale tin of goo.
1kg of light malt extract.
200g of light crystal malt steeped in a grain bag and 1litre of hot water for 15 minutes
20g of cascade hops, boiled for 5 minutes in the liquid from the grain.

Steep your grains in grain bag for 15 minutes or so.
Pull out the bag and squeeze.
Bring to the boil, add your hops and boil for 5 minutes, pop the lid on and take off the heat when you're done.
Put the tin of goo and extract into the fermenter and strain in the hot liquid from the saucepan.
Add another litre or so of boiling water to dissolve everything and give it a good stir.
Top up with water to 20 litres only (the smaller volume will mean your hard work isn't diluted).
Pitch your yeast if it is between 18-20 degrees and ignore the airlock.

Easy as.

JD

Edit: Yes it is definitely worth bottling.

Thanks heaps JD!

Will follow your advice. It was a lot of fun making and monitoring the first batch. I think I will buy another kit tomorrow, so that I can do two batches at once and follow your recipe.

Cheers,
Idzy

Thats the way, idzy...get stuck in.

You will be suprised the differnence carbonation and age to make to a brew, especially a kit.
Follow above to get a decent result...only tip to add, with your hot water...2/3 boiling to 1/3 tap gets close to the perfect temp for steeping your gain.

We've all been there Idzy, made our first brew with the most basic ingredients expecting it to be at least as good as something you might get down at the pub. It's not our fault that we followed the instructions on the tin but as previously mentioned, adding just a little extra love and ingredients will improve your beer tenfold.

There are a lot of recipes like the one JD posted above that take only a little extra time and money and will knock your socks off after a month in the bottle.

I use this page of simple beer kit recipes as a reference a fair bit (sometimes chopping and changing the ingredients a little depending on what is available in my area) and the results have always been good!

http://brewerschoice.com.au/category/beer/beer-recipes/beer-kit-recipes/

As long as you enjoy the process as much as you love the drinking, you can't lose. Keep on brewing sir.

I usually leave mine in the bottles for a minimum of three weeks, longer if I have the patience. You'll find a little time make a massive difference.

Have a taster after one week, then two, then another at three. This will give you an idea of how much it changes over time.

Good call wbosher.
I bottle at least two 100 ml clear bottles with every brew.
Helps see clarity/colour and how much sediment, also only a small taster when sampling after a week, then two.

Little fruit nectar bottles, that fit crown seals. As below. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383538956.970344.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

idzy - You've got the bug & the right attitude for this gig.

Keep at-it, keep learning (keep good notes), don't be afraid to make mistakes (shit happens :p ) & you'll be consistently making great stuff before you know it.

Patience is one of those things that can't be taught, but you're definitely on the right track.

Slainte!!

Martin

unclebarrel said:
Good call wbosher.
I bottle at least two 100 ml clear bottles with every brew.
Helps see clarity/colour and how much sediment, also only a small taster when sampling after a week, then two.

Little fruit nectar bottles, that fit crown seals. As below.
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383538956.970344.jpg

I looked at this photo before reading your text, i thought "shit, that guy has massive hands!"

Noob brewer myself so i cant help much except for encouragement.

Keep at it mate and try it againg with extras as mentioned above.
Also Yes ageing helps allot!

My first was something similar, coopers tin and enhancer! The best thing you can do is sub out the yeast from the tin and get a packet of quality dry yeast. One of my favourite ale yeasts is US-05 by Fermentis it's the same strain as wyeast American Ale and half the price.
Steeping grains can sound complex but it's simple and don't stress too much about the water temp, your not mashing (converting starch to sugar) your extracting the sugars from Kilned malts.
Adding fresh hops can also help and is simple to do.

Keep good notes so when you brew a beer you like you can do it again!

Also don't be in a hurry to get it out of the fermenter. Give it a couple of weeks at least...or at least try to leave it that long :lol: I'm sure with the suggestions about steeping grains and adding hops you're going to want to get it into the bottles and get another one going.

Congrats on your first brew! dont expect your first to be the best beer out there but dont throw it out as im sure it will still be drinkable. As others have already said it will get better with age.

if you can control the fermentation temperature then this will help or even try using a yeast like US-05.

and the hardest thing to learn with brewing is PATIENCE!!

Enjoy

If it just tastes bland (rather than bad) you haven't done anything wrong. Next time make a hop tea or add dry hops to the fermenter. You'll notice a big difference. And yes, it will get better in the bottles.

What we use is the Ginger Beer Stubbies from Aldi. The labels come off very easy with hot water and dish-washing liquid. Then I put in about 2 tablespoons of Vinegar with hot water (after a couple of washes in hot water), and leave over night. Then wash out well and put on the bottle tree in the sun for a couple of hours. No GB smell or taste at all. The tops can be used over and over and the glass is brown. Works well for a couple of testers during the time. I have that many now, I could probably do a full brew with them.

Hey toncils.
The missus gets them from woolworths, they are usually filled with pear or apricot nectar.
Great for kids parties, then pretty handy for me !

Stick at it. I couldn't drain my first batch fast enough. By the end I can admit it was tasting better and that's three months. Get a few going now, buy more bottles, then ease back and when they're matured you'll have an awesome selection to pick from. You need to work ahead of your demands.

One bit of advice I took on was try a dark ale or something strongly flavoured as they are more forgiving than clean lagers.

and drinking it from the fermenter is flat beer and who likes flat beer!

Boys, thanks a ton for all the advice. I have just bottled this batch and will definitely keep you informed.

It has been in the fermenter for 15 days now and should be ready to go as gravity readings were steady and the hydrometer says BEER in green (that must be good right? LOL).

I have also done an experiment on removing bottle labels that I will be posting, I think it may help some people.

Back