First Brew Without A Hopped Can - Advice With Boil Times?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyane

Reaction score
Tonight I'm setting down my 1st all-non-hopped-extract brew. I've looked at a few recipes, played with the hop weights and boil times on the spreadsheet but just want some general advice on hop additions.

It's probably a matter of preference/style, but is there a rule of thumb for what proportion of IBUs should come from the early, mid and late stages of the boil? For eg. for an IBU of 40, should 20 points come from the early additions (60min)? Sorry if this is a stupid question :rolleyes:

Tonight I'm setting down my 1st all-non-hopped-extract brew. I've looked at a few recipes, played with the hop weights and boil times on the spreadsheet but just want some general advice on hop additions.

It's probably a matter of preference/style, but is there a rule of thumb for what proportion of IBUs should come from the early, mid and late stages of the boil? For eg. for an IBU of 40, should 20 points come from the early additions (60min)? Sorry if this is a stupid question :rolleyes:

Get brewmate. It's free and does all that calculating for you as well, and compares with styles.

Grab a hold of BJCP guidelines to see whether the hopping is what you need to do. For example an APA will have late kettle additions, but an English bitter is focused on early bittering.

Remember the longer you boil, the more bitter, the less flavour and aroma. The late additions (10m down to 0m) are primarily for flavour and aroma (yum).

My rule for an APA is generally around 15IBU at 30m and the rest at 10m, but others do additions every 5 minutes from 30 down to 0 mins.

Horses, courses, experiments and personal preference play the biggest keys.

Thanks for the advice ... I'm on Linux so unless Brewmate is compatible with WINE (ahhh lovely alcohol, it's everywhere :lol: ) the spreadsheet will have to do. (Note for non-Windows, MSOffice people -- the spreadsheet mostly works in LibreOffice).

BJCP-wise, I'm going for a quaffing Australia Pale Ale style with Yank hops for flavour/aroma.
Here's the plan:
1kg LDME; 1kg Briess Golden Light (DME); Dextrose and brown sugar to take it to an OG of 1.038 for 23L.
(Will use a little wheat malt and steeped grain next time, none on hand)
13g PoR at 45min
10g Amarillo + 15g Cascade at 30min and again at 5min.
Approx IBU of 33
US-05 yeast.

Here's hoping (hahah very punny)

Thanks for the advice ... I'm on Linux so unless Brewmate is compatible with WINE (ahhh lovely alcohol, it's everywhere :lol: ) the spreadsheet will have to do. (Note for non-Windows, MSOffice people -- the spreadsheet mostly works in LibreOffice).

BJCP-wise, I'm going for a quaffing Australia Pale Ale style with Yank hops for flavour/aroma.
Here's the plan:
1kg LDME; 1kg Briess Golden Light (DME); Dextrose and brown sugar to take it to an OG of 1.038 for 23L.
(Will use a little wheat malt and steeped grain next time, none on hand)
13g PoR at 45min
10g Amarillo + 15g Cascade at 30min and again at 5min.
Approx IBU of 33
US-05 yeast.

Here's hoping (hahah very punny)

Yeah, I ended up Dual Booting - just for brewmate and e-tax (which has mysteriously stopped working in WINE) and a couple of windows only programs.

I think I get into windows once every 2 or 3 weeks.

There is qbrew on Linux - I know with K/Ubuntu, Mint and other .deb based distros that there is that in the repositories. It ain't brewmate, but will give you the basics. There is also beercalculus.hopville.com - which being web based is OS agnostic.

Otherwise, if you are on android - there are a couple of decent apps I have on my tablet - not quite brewmate worthy, but it does allow me to do on the fly calculations and adjustments depending on what happens - one's called brewzR, not sure of the other.

As to the recipe - it looks reasonable enough - though be aware that the concept of "Australian" Pale Ale (BJCP Style 6.5) is pretty much incompatible with American Pale Ale (BJCP Style 7.1) and pretty much american hops. The reason for this is that the Australian Pale Ale is mostly Ester driven (yeast), supported by some malty bready flavour.

Aroma: Fruity yeast-derived aromas most prominent, with light, sweet pale malt underneath. Hop aroma low to
none.
No diacetyl.

My advice is (and this is regardless of style) - decide on a style and use BJCP guidelines and ingredients to brew that beer. Yep - rules are made to be broken, but once you know what they are. I found that early on in my (AG) brewing career, I was trying to do too much, and brewed a beer that by being everything I liked, was nothing like what I really wanted to drink.

I would bitter with Amarillo and flavour with American hops, leave POR alone.

Or alternatively, bitter with POR and leave the American hops alone.

And I note that 1.038 is your OG - with 33 IBU. Make sure that this is your preference for a beer. The thing is with IBU - a 35IBU beer against 1.048 is a balanced beer, but against 1.038 will be decidedly more hoppy and bitter.

Hope this helps.

Goomba

Cheers Goomba - Will take that advice on next time. It's on the way now so will have to see how it goes.

Recently cracked a Coopers APA kit with just enough malt & adjuncts to take it to 1.036 at 23L. Used US-05, and only around 5-6g per addition of PoR @ 60min, Amarillo @ 45 and 30min & Cascade @ 15 and 5min for IBU of 36(!). FG of 1.006 for 4.5% abv.

Granted, this may just be too bitter for the wife's tastes, but to me it's just like a bottled Coopers Australian Pale Ale with a twist, nice earthy bitterness plus just a subtle citrusy edge.

Beersmith 2 has a linux version. I was using Qbrew but Beersmith craps all over it.

Latest posts

Back