First Brew, Think I Have Dud Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edak

BrauShnizzleMyNizzle
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Well I finally started my first brew yesterday morning and everything seemed to go to plan. The mix went well and everything was nicely sterile. I pitched my yeast at 25 deg but saw no immediate activity, admittedly I didn't know what to expect so I thought I would give it some time. I didn't get a chance to check it until this morning and it looks exactly the same now. It has been resting at a solid 20 degrees since.

Is the yeast dead? Did I get a dud?

The pack was a cascade lager Which came with my brewcraft kit.

If it is a dud, would I be able to simply get another pack and pitch again or would I have to start fresh?

Hi guys,
Well I finally started my first brew yesterday morning and everything seemed to go to plan. The mix went well and everything was nicely sterile. I pitched my yeast at 25 deg but saw no immediate activity, admittedly I didn't know what to expect so I thought I would give it some time. I didn't get a chance to check it until this morning and it looks exactly the same now. It has been resting at a solid 20 degrees since.

Is the yeast dead? Did I get a dud?

The pack was a cascade lager Which came with my brewcraft kit.

If it is a dud, would I be able to simply get another pack and pitch again or would I have to start fresh?

Make sure your fermenter is sealed properly, gently push down on the lid and see if you push air out through the airlock. Hold pressure on the lid and see if the water levels out or stays unequal in the air lock.... hope that makes sense. I would wait a bit longer, sometimes they can be slow to start but it probably should be fired up.

If its kit yeast it might take a little while to fire up. Also, if it truly is a lager yeast you are going to want to ferment at much lower temperatures. I ferment my lagers at 10-12C.

Usually the kit yeast supplied isn't enough, so if you got more yeast you may as well throw it in.

it can take up to 3 days for the yeast to kick of depening of the conditions pitched, temp and yeast health. The packet yeast are alright but they do not give you enough, Its best to pitch about 12g to 23lts. They will work but they may take longer to kick off and ferment, Also they are not stored properly any good home brew store will have there yeast in a fridge at 4c.

Wait it out, If you got a LHBS thats open on sunday I would grab a few packs of yeast US05 is great to have laying around. Throw them in the fridge, if it hasnt kicked off by tomorrow and the brew still smells ok pitch a pack of US05 and keep a few spare for your next brews.

Thanks for the advice. The yeast is not a true lager one, but one of the under the lid types of ale yeasts. It recommends to be used at 20 degrees and it is sealed up very well.

It's now nearly 24 hours, I thought it would be faster?

edit : so is it the general consensus that there is no major problem with adding more yeast?

Thanks for the advice. The yeast is not a true lager one, but one of the under the lid types of ale yeasts. It recommends to be used at 20 degrees and it is sealed up very well.

It's now nearly 24 hours, I thought it would be faster?

edit : so is it the general consensus that there is no major problem with adding more yeast?

Your call...... either that or wait a bit...... I learnt very quickly not to rush, making beer is like having sex..... take your time and good things will happen

Do you have a hydrometer? Personally I'd give it a day or two and then check the hydrometer reading.

Your call...... either that or wait a bit...... I learnt very quickly not to rush, making beer is like having sex..... take your time and good things will happen

I guess I could wait another day, I will still pick up some back up yeast JIC. I really don't want to lose my first brew to something that I wasn't responsible for.

Like sex you say.... The Mrs gave me this kit so that means she is still interested ;-)

Edit: rina I do have a hydrometer and if there's no action then I would not see any changes. good idea.

Ok so about 12 hours later, it looks like there is a change. Thanks for the advice and support. ;-)

Ok so it's now 15 days after starting this brew, it still has not reached FG. it appears to have been stuck at 1.014 for a week now.. I tried swishing the brew and raising the temp from 19.5 to 22.5 and it didn't seem to make a difference. Is this a problem if I go to bottle? should I try something else?

Thankfully I will only be using better yeast from now on, and not that crap under the lid.

Edit: How much temperature fluctuation is required to stop the yeast? My fridge keeps the temp +/- 0.25 degrees is that OK if the beer fluctuates this amount several times in a day?

what was the OG?? and what ingredients did you use??? 1014 is not high depending what the OG and ingredients is. What is your expected FG?

Yeah, if it's been 1.014 for that long, then it's done and time to bottle. 1.014, is not really that bad a number, I'm sure the brew will taste fine.

cheers

The can was cascade lager, not a true lager, ale yeast
I added a 1kg brewcraft enhancer 15
It started at 1.041 and came to 21.5 litres

Expected 1.006 according to the cascade data

The can was cascade lager, not a true lager, ale yeast
I added a 1kg brewcraft enhancer 15
It started at 1.041 and came to 21.5 litres

Expected 1.006 according to the cascade data

Chances are the yeast in the can was only partly viable thus it wont fully ferment out.
The majority of my kit beers finish 1011-1014, paricularly with brew enhancer, thats a bit of maltodex that will remain for body.

Should be fine.

Chances are the yeast in the can was only partly viable thus it wont fully ferment out.
The majority of my kit beers finish 1011-1014, paricularly with brew enhancer, thats a bit of maltodex that will remain for body.

Should be fine.

cheers yum, I feel more confident now :)
The first chance I will have to bottle will be Tuesday night now, and then to get another batch in the fermenter ;)

as yum said they prob have maltodextrin in them and that is not fermentable (or maybe only slightly?) I would like to see it lower but without knowing exactly whats in the brew enhancer 15.

ok done a google and seems there is (if its right) 500g dex, 250g LDME, 250g corn syrup

I generally leave the fermenter a week or two once the gravity settles to let the yeast do its thing.
No harm leaving it another week if your concerned.

as yum said they prob have maltodextrin in them and that is not fermentable (or maybe only slightly?) I would like to see it lower but without knowing exactly whats in the brew enhancer 15.

ok done a google and seems there is (if its right) 500g dex, 250g LDME, 250g corn syrup

Yes I believe that those were the ingredients, does this mean that I should be good to go?

Found that it's called brew booster, not enhancer sorry

Yes I believe that those were the ingredients, does this mean that I should be good to go?

Found that it's called brew booster, not enhancer sorry

yeap bottle your heart out

time to bottle i reckon.

by the sounds of things it has been a sucessful brew. itll end up being around 4% alc. should be a nice quaffer.

if this is ur first brew, it should be great. u should hear some of the stories of the first brew some of the brewers here have done. mine was disgusting. still drink it lol.

uve ticked the boxes. right volume, right ferment temp etc.

tips for next time:
use a better yeast
try steeping grain
look into toucan
look into hops

Back