Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

First Brew: Mangrove Jack's Blonde Lager

Discussion in 'Kits & Extracts' started by Jonah1505, 13/8/19.

1. Jonah1505

Posted 13/8/19
    Gday all,
    I'm hopefully going to do my first brew over the weekend; Mangrove Jack's Blonde Lager.

I am reading Charlie Papzian's, Complete Joy of Home Brewing and he reccommends to boil for an hour, even though the are no instructions saying so. Is this step necessary? Does it improve the final product? I am happy to boil if it improves the final product.

I have some Saaz pellets which I plan ti steep and add aswell.

Have been advised to ferment at 18 degrees, rather than the 20-25 on the instructions

Any other advice is would be great.

Cheers!

2. Richard williamson

Posted 16/8/19 at 6:11 AM
    I've boiled my wart and not boiled and the difference is minimal. However boiling is better if your adding hops as you have more control over bitterness and hop flavour, even if you only boil for 15 minutes. If it's a pre hopped can don't boil that as will make existing hops bitter. The 2 best things to improve your brews are 1. Get a fermenting fridge and inkbird tempreture control and 2. Buy a good yeast ( not the one that comes with the cans ). Have fun buddy

Jonah1505 likes this.
  3. hoppy2B

Home Page:
    Posted 18/8/19 at 1:13 AM
    Hi Jonah,

You only really need to boil for an hour if you're doing a 60 minute hop addition, or brewing with all-grain light coloured malts. The last one is a bit technical to explain.

You should only really need to bring your wort up to 75 degree C to pasteurize it, drop your hop pellets in for a minute (loose is best) and then turn your burner off.

Boiling will actually reduce the amount of bitterness in the can, and can lead to a lower anticipated level of bitterness unless adding extra hops.

I recommend bringing all of the volume of water up to 75 degrees C to be safe.

I haven't read the book you are referring to. Take a look at John Palmer's free online book "How To Brew".

Jonah1505 likes this.
  4. Jonah1505

Posted 19/8/19 at 10:00 AM
    Cheers Richard and hoppy. Thanks for the tips!

hoppy2B likes this.