First Brew in the UK-What Should It Be?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Econwatson

Reaction score
Hey guys.

Well I've settled into the working life, built my STC-1000 and got myself 100 bottles so I'm ready to brew in the UK finally!

I'd like to brew something for my dad. He is a real lager man, maybe Pilsner. I've been trying to get him to drink anything apart from San Miguel and Stella Artois so I got some Heineken. I don't know what your opinions are on Heineken, expecting some flak coming my way, but I like Heineken and I feel like it's a little better than San Miguel and Stella Artois, but he didn't like it. He said there was an after taste. So I guess I need to go back a few steps and brew something that's crisp, refreshing and with very little after taste.

So could you guys recommend me some lager or Pilsner recipes that might go down well? I remember there was a lager doing the rounds when I joined the forums. It had a Kiwi name somehow and had a really short fermentation time? At the time I thought it sounded appealing but I didn't brew AG back then so I never brewed it. Can anybody remember the name?

Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated! Nor just my ramblings about this random Kiwi lager!

Thanks guys!

EDIT: Think it was Parched as Bro Pale Ale. Perhaps this isn't the correct recipe for a first beer for the old man.

My German Pils:
100% weyermann floor malted bo pils to 1050SG,
90 min mash @ 64c
90 min boil
Magnum to 22 IBU @ 90
Hallertau to 7 ibu @ 20
Same quantity of Hallertau @ 0.

Ferment @ 9c w WY2206 Bavarian Lager.

Make sure you use soft water in this one; but you can add some gypsum to make the hops pop a little.

Scored @ SABSOSA 39.5/50 as German Pils, 36.8/50 as Dortmunder, 34.5/50 as Munich Helles.

You could try starting with a kolsch recipe and mess with it a bit. Finding a lot of kolsch a bit insipid I did one with 90% pilsner malt, 10% Bestmalz dark wheat (not the roasted stuff, the 8 Lovibond one), Wyeast kolsch 2565, that came out very refreshing with little aftertaste. Ferment at 12 to 14C. I haven't got the hops down yet but am leaning heavily towards all spalt, including a 1g/liter dry hop. Out of style of course, but I haven't beaten it yet for a nice crisp and slightly fruity summer drinker.

You'll need to fine though. I did gelatin with a 3-week lagering period, carbed with Nottingham.

Edit: Oh yeah, I stepped the mash for light body and fully dry ferment.

HI EW, I assume you have already joined Jim's Beer Kit and TheHomeBrewForum over there, they would be a great source of recipes and also suppliers.

If he's a lager man I'd go for a straightforward Carling style but use Nottingham to ferment out quicker and drier, makes a good fake lager.

3.5 kg UK lager malt
1kg flaked maize or boiled up polenta

Single infusion mash

15g Magnum 60 mins
30g Hallertau 10 mins

Notto

Thanks guys. I think Bribie's recipe might be the go for a start! As boring as possible to start with. I suppose my family don't really believe I can brew beer, need to convince them!

Sorry to bump this up again, dad's said he is a Peroni fan. Are there any decent clones of this about?

Many thanks!

Bribie G said:
HI EW, I assume you have already joined Jim's Beer Kit and TheHomeBrewForum over there, they would be a great source of recipes and also suppliers.
Yes two great forums if your now based in the UK. I'm a moderator of TheHomeBrewForum and you may be interested in the fact we organise a meet up every year that has become a great social event, A weekend of trying each others beers and a competition. Getting bigger each year. the next one is in May next year.

Back