First brew. Help out a newbie

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimi James

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm just about to put down my first ever brew using the simple Morgan's home brew starter kit. Was going to brew the lager supplied with the kit, but it's far from our fav style, so I went and bought an Old kit and 1kg of dark malt.
Now should I start off with the lager as a trial or just go straight for the dark? All advice welcome...

I might not be an expert, but go with the style you like to drink that is commercial and adapt from there.
I like to drink Carlton Dry off the pub taps, but have since started trying to clone pale ales as I like the hop taste in home brewed beers.

Cheers Wade

If you were to brew that lager, now would be the best time as they prefer the cold temps, around 12c for lager yeasts and 19c for ales, so if you've got a constant cold spot in your house, it'll make a huge different in the outcome, steady temp is key. Dont just look at the lager tin like, oh, it'll taste like a great northern or something, because you can change all that with different hops easily enough. The morgans 12g finishing hops bags are your easiest option starting out, can either be steeped to draw out bitterness, or simply dropped fresh into the fermenter as a dry hop for more flavour and aroma additions, dont be shy asking the home brew shop on some recommendations when you're looking at tins.
Each brew is a learning curve.
What came with the (tooheys?) old kit?

Latest posts

Back