First brew first beer from it

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troy294

Reaction score
Well well so I put down a coopers lager for the first time ( I'm a newbie ) and I thought I would have a drink after a week , and I must say I was not a fan so I assume I gotta leave em sit longer . . Plenty of gas when I popped cap off , very little head ., but the beer was very clear so fingers crossed it will be good after another week

So was that after a week in the bottle? How long was it in the fermenter?

I have my first kit brew in the fermenter at the moment. Can't wait to try it.

Ken

Being patient is the hardest thing, especially with your first brew, when all you want to do is see if you made something drinkable. My first wasn't great(but drinkable), but because i made it i was more than happy to drink it.

the first brew or 3 are usually pretty bad
once you've got sanitisation, temperature control and quality ingredients down, you'll notice a vast improvement

I already have another coopers lager on the go and this one I have used us-05 yeast plus lower lower temp around 18 .
Where as my other one was inconsistent temp and up around 26 at times - live and learn - everyone started somewhere .
So it will be interesting to see what the different taste is on regards to the lower temp and different yeast .

But yeah I had it in the beer drum ( fermenter ) about 7 days and today was the 7th day bottled so I couldn't help my self but to try one lol but I believe it will be better in another 1-2 weeks .

My kit beers were always over primed, leaves you with just bubbles and no flavour. Half the time it was because of those useless carbonation drops, if your using different bottle sizes there is just no point to them. If your not bulk priming I recommend it, it also makes a hell of a lot of difference as well as giving you consistency amongst your batch.

Was never a fan of the lager it had a flavour I can't palate. Move up to the better cans and some good dry malt. The bit extra coin is wearth it. Watch your pitch temp and all that. All kit beers need a good chance to condition in the bottle a month is needed at lest in IMO.

Cheers

Troy294 said:
I used carb drops on this brew that I have bottled but I'm gonna go back to just plain sugar .
Always found one drop to a tallie better. Two is a bit to much. Don't like fizzie beer..

Cheers

I have heard alot about this dry malt . I wanna find a beer which is close to the " great northerns " " xxxx summers " . they are my beers of choice .
so any suggestions on what can I should grab let me know .
How do I use this dry malt stuff lol

roverfj1200 said:
Always found one drop to a tallie better. Two is a bit to much. Don't like fizzie beer..

Cheers
Excuse my ignorance but exactly what size is a tallie?

Ken

donburke said:
exactly 3 throwdowns

or

exactly 2 tinnies
So a longneck? 750ml.

An answer in the form of a math equation. :)

So 1 drop in the bottle rather than the recommended 2 you say?

Hmmm.

Ken

What state do u live in if ya don't know what a tallie is ??? I know in nsw and sa a pot is a middi .
I thought a tallie or a big bot was nation wide known lol

Troy294 said:
What state do u live in if ya don't know what a tallie is ??? I know in nsw and sa a pot is a middi .
:) Never heard of a tallie (or a big pot for that matter :)) maybe I live a sheltered life.

Troy294 said:
Yeah a long neck that's correct .
Why didn't you just say so ;)

Anyway, back to my Saranac Pumpkin Ale (in a 355ml bottle :) - one day I will make my own).

Ken

Troy294 said:
big bot ?

is that a big google thing that pings your webpage for its search engine ?

kendoll said:
So a longneck? 750ml.

An answer in the form of a math equation. :)

So 1 drop in the bottle rather than the recommended 2 you say?

Hmmm.

Ken
i found 1 coopers carb drop per 375ml was fine as long as your beer had completely finished fermenting

alot of the bottles i was using were 330ml and these ended up slightly fizzy but certainly acceptable

there are different brands of carb drops that differ in size so this probably plays a role in peoples experiences

you can always sanitise a knife and split some in half to dose 1.5 drops per tallie as a compromise

or you can bulk prime

Latest posts

Back