First Brew Failure/i Dont Think So

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergi

Reaction score
well heres a little update on my last post where i thought my 1st brew was going off.i am sitting in front of the comp at the moment typing this,i have just opened another of my 1st brew:coopers draught: with an adda pack,i have also just opened at the same time my 2nd brew a coopers pale ale, 7 days in the bottle.draught was 17 days in the bottle.the draught seems ok still not fully clear probably 80% clear,,flavor is ok a little muddy tasting head retention is not too bad ,it has been sitting in the glass here for about 10 to 15 mins and the head is just a white skim on top,not many bubbles coming through now although only 1 inch left in glass. the pale ale is 3/4 full glass few more bubbles coming through although i suspect this is because of the fuller glass.color is more cloudy than draught ,about 60% clear and a lighter color than the draft.virtually no head left on top of the glass.tastes like it needs to develop some flavor...probably both beers should have been a bit colder and the weather outside is not really hot either i think this helps to drink it if the weather is hot ,im sure it makes the beer taste better,im not sure of all the flavors in different beers but i would think that they could do with a bit more of a hops flavor,thats only my opinion maybe it needs more malt im not really sure although both beers had adda packs which had more malt,corn syrup and dextrose.my next brew is 4 days in the fermenter and this is a coopers heritage lager,this i am managing to keep at around 18 deg and has an adda pack in it with added hops so i will see if this is whats needed ,anyway i think it is probably going to improve both the draft and pale ale with some extra time in the bottles
cheers
fergi

the heritage lager has a lager yeast. at 18 it will taste abit fruity.

Hmmm. In the past I have found that a good bottle condition requires an absolute minimum of 14 days and is really best after one month has passed. Of course, I wouldn't have been able to test this without the occasional cheat, but for best results in temperate climates one month is the way to go. Even if the beer is clear before then, I often find that the taste is not quite right, and it betters itself during the last week of conditioning.

The best way to get clear beer is b4 bottling: leave the beer in primary 2 weeks b4 bottling (if not in the middle of summer when the yeast cake may turn to Vegemite. . .) then rack to cube and leave somewhere cool or cold another couple weeks

Jovial Monk

Back