First Brew Anxiousness

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wardy

Reaction score
Ok, i am sure you hear this kind of rubbish from the newbies all the time, so hopefully this will be my last official "newbie" post (apologies to those who have read it all before) ....

My IPA (Coopers kit) was 3 days primary and (from 1.042 down to 1.019) then into 2ndary for 7 days. For the last 4 days it's been at 1.010, no movement, no airlock action. Some texts say leave in 2ndary for 2 weeks, others say bottle and condition for 1-2 weeks?? I would really love to free up my fermenter to rack my other brew, but i want to give it the best chance possible because at the moment it tastes like shit (tasting samples from hydrometer reading). It's a little floury and heavy on the palate. The smell is ok. The taste i can't describe (except very young and strong fermented flavour!). It doesn't taste sour or off, but it doesn't taste great either. Will it actually improve into something that resembles beer in the next few weeks??

Can anyone give me their preference or the difference it makes if i condition in the 2ndary fermentor for another week, or just bottle it and get on with things?

Thanks in advance for any feedback, cheers

you could bottle now as it seems to be done fermenting, but the idea is, the longer in secondary, the less time you need bottle conditioning.
ive had some brews bottle condition for two months before the flavors really mellow out.
its hard to say what is causing the flavors you describe as it could be lots of different thing: fermenting temp, yeast, how old the kit was, or it could just need more time.
really depends on how bad oyu need your fermenter. if your other brew has been in primary for a real long time (say three or four weeks) go ahead and rack. if its been in primary one or two weeks, relax, dont worry, etc. just watch your temps and wait. i klnow, its tough good luck
joe

i would rack again and dry hop with goldings or cascade for 2-4 weeks cold conditioning in the fridge.

Buy another fermenter - need 3 with racking, dry hopping etc...

You really do need 3 fermenters for a basic set-up. Two for fermenting/conditioning and one for racking into.

The cube shaped jerry cans from bunnings are cheap and ideal for secondary or bottling. They come with a tap and all. I saw some recently that were exactly like a fermenter - round with a wide lid and o-ring, easily cleaned moulded handles, tap - $18!

I have taken to leaving my brews in secondary for a couple of weeks at the coolest temperature I can manage in the house. You can drink them as soon as they are carbonated - in this weather about a week - and they taste fine.

thanks for all the help everyone (and reassurance!). i especially like the sound of the cubed shaped jerry cans... will get some!

cheers

My Clearing Cube is a 25 litre food grade plastic cube from K-Mart. I think it cost under $20 bucks. Money well spent I reckon.

Latest posts

Back