First brew and a success!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Journeyman

Reaction score
I got to taste my first attempt at K&K last night. I brewed Cooper Real Ale and a kilo of BE3.

Had a bit of the problem at the start - temp got to 36° overnight. (electric blanket FU - don't ask :D) but after giving the brew extra time after FG - advice from others to let the yeast clean up after itself and my temp stuff up - I bottled a bit over a week back.

Beer is a little light on carbonation but forms a nice head initially - doesn't last long though when drinking. Beer tastes good, no rank after-tastes, pleasant flavours. Although it looks a little darker than I was expecting, it's a good colour.

Went down very well.

Just waiting now for a temp controller to arrive and I can set up the fridge I got - all fridge so I can have 2 FV's in there, and the next brew will be on its' way.

And I owe it to the knowledge shared both here and on other sites, from home brewers generous with their experience and time.

My 2nd brew is bottled and in the cupboard - it's a toucan, 2 x Coopers Draught. They were free with the gear I got 2nd hand and old so I figured WTH? See below for what I call a 'Kicker' :D

I also have 2 more brews in the fridge now so things ticking along well.

upload_2019-11-24_9-25-20.png

good work, ians spreadsheet is a great tool.

2 suggestions;
- use LMA instread of those be3.
- reinforce the top shelf for you upper fermenter in your frig by placing 2 shelves in 2 adjacent slots and pack the 20mm gap with something so the weight is taken by both shelves.

finally are the simcoe and cascade dry hopped? if so this will be a lovely fruity beer in a 20l batch.

good work, ians spreadsheet is a great tool.

2 suggestions;
- use LMA instread of those be3.
- reinforce the top shelf for you upper fermenter in your frig by placing 2 shelves in 2 adjacent slots and pack the 20mm gap with something so the weight is taken by both shelves.

finally are the simcoe and cascade dry hopped? if so this will be a lovely fruity beer in a 20l batch.
Yep... I've started buying LDME. Got the BE3 originally because it has the DME in it.I saw a exbeeriment on brulosophy that suggested there's no discernible difference in quality of beer from the dry to the liquid, although they DID report a difference. Lack of funds mandate the dry for now plus BigW stock it so I can get it on AfterPay.

Shelf is reinforced by sticking in a 2nd shelf in the same slot - there was just enough room in the slot for it with a bit of heel-of-hand encouragement. :D You can see it in the pic - there's a 2nd 'front' to the shelf that is the 2nd shelf pushed all the way in while the one you can see on top doesn't quite go all the way.

Yes, both dry-hopped in that. Over on DIY site there was some suggestion I needed a good dose of hops to counter the bitter of toucan brew. And I do like a hoppy beer. My all time favourite tap beer is Fixation, a Byron Bay company that started selling it in my local when I was in Bendigo - lovely stuff!

Murray Bridge, where I am now, doesn't have any craft bars at all - Coopers XPA is the closest I can get. le sigh...
OTOH lack of a place to buy craft was likely the major factor in deciding to brew my own. :D Swings and roundabouts. :D

Attachments

• Strong Brown and Real IPA.jpg
    Strong Brown and Real IPA.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 95
looks like your all over it then, happy times.

Yep... I've started buying LDME. Got the BE3 originally because it has the DME in it.I saw a exbeeriment on brulosophy that suggested there's no discernible difference in quality of beer from the dry to the liquid, although they DID report a difference. Lack of funds mandate the dry for now plus BigW stock it so I can get it on AfterPay.

i get the 20kg bags from bintani.

you can also steep some grains to add to your mix, 200g of milled crystal malt per 20l steeped in say 60 deg water for half an hour will add a pleasant sweet flavour of nuttiness/biscuit which will even out your bitterness and also aid head retention, simply pour the mixture through a sieve straight into your fermenter to remove the spent grains.

https://www.cleverbrewing.com.au/ma...wksYJOlsSLgso4SmLO5H8i8BKA1AJzbhoCb08QAvD_BwE

I realised I have a perfect tool for steeping - a 6L sous vide bath that can keep temps to within about 0.5° of the setting - when I get into grains I may have to buy another sous vide as this one is in use almost constantly.

its not that crucial just make sure its not to close to a boil or you will end up mashing instead of steeping. you can even cold steep if you have the time. i have a little stainless 10l pot that i use, your sous vide bath would also be fine.

Latest posts

Back