First Brew Ag Biab

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stinkypetegc

Reaction score
hi guys im new to the forums trying to learn as much as pos about this great craft , did my first ever batch of beer last night biab i halved this recipe http://www.ahb.com.au/forum/index.php?showtopic=65961
i bought 10 litres water to strike temp of 70 degrees c and added my grain to bag , mashed for 60 mins then stirred the grains a bit and mashed another 30 mins , removed bag and squeezed juices out poured about a liter of 70 c water over grains and added to pot what i collected , i then boiled for 60 mins adding the nelson hops at start of boil and then more at the 10 mins to go mark then turned off and added the rest of hops , as i tasted i noticed the wort tasted very bitter i have no idea if this was normal or not as my first go at beer , covered in gladwrap and put lid on till today , sg reading was 1080 , too high ? should i dillute this to 1060 ? any feed back is welcome thanks .stinky

hi guys im new to the forums trying to learn as much as pos about this great craft , did my first ever batch of beer last night biab i halved this recipe http://www.ahb.com.au/forum/index.php?showtopic=65961
i bought 10 litres water to strike temp of 70 degrees c and added my grain to bag , mashed for 60 mins then stirred the grains a bit and mashed another 30 mins , removed bag and squeezed juices out poured about a liter of 70 c water over grains and added to pot what i collected , i then boiled for 60 mins adding the nelson hops at start of boil and then more at the 10 mins to go mark then turned off and added the rest of hops , as i tasted i noticed the wort tasted very bitter i have no idea if this was normal or not as my first go at beer , covered in gladwrap and put lid on till today , sg reading was 1080 , too high ? should i dillute this to 1060 ? any feed back is welcome thanks .stinky
what was your batch size ?
Also , be very careful just putting it in a fermenter hot and letting it cool down....Do a search on no-chill....its using plastic jerry cans and is far more robust at stopping infections.....
Cheers
F

hi my batch size was 9 Liters similar to jd nicks tutorial biab , i let cool in pot covered in glad wrap with lid on and am about to add to sanitised fermenter

cheers

I just have done my first all grain BIAB yesterday and I have also noticed that it is very bitter as well - is this normal? Will the bitterness reduce with fermentation?

Cheers, Az

Shouldn't really be bitter...
Mine is always very sweet.
It's only going to get more bitter really, as the
Perceived sweetness drops off as sugars turn to alcohol.
Never had bitter ale wort.
I'm guessing its an ale??

Hey stinky, I would say you will have well short of your 9 litres to go into the fermenter. I would expect 7-7.5 litres.

Once you top with cooled boiled water you will reduce both your SG and your bitterness.

I would say around 3 litres to get to 1055 or there abouts depending on exactly what you get into the fermenter.

Your wort will always taste very bitter when its still hot. My first ever AG was a 10 litre stove top job like yours and I had the same problem and asked the same question on here.
Ive since noticed that with all my brews the wort tastes very bitter at EOB, but this does drop off once the wort is cooled and even more so once fermentation has finished.

So don't worry about it too much you should be right if you stuck to your recipe. And as Yum beer said once you dilute to 1.060 with cooled boiled water your bitterness will drop off even more.

Also use some brewing software like Brewmate (Which is free) to scale your recipes down to the volume you require.

Be careful when you stir the grains after 30 mins that you dont lose too much heat. I never bothered doing this and my well covered/insulated pot only lost 1C at most over a 90 min mash.

Dilute it in the fermenter with cold water to what the recipe says.

Truman thanks I had forgotten the name of that software and was about to purchase beersmith 2... I used brewmate a long time ago but the computer died and I could not remember that name to download it again.

stinkypetegc, brewmate is a good program to have and there is plenty of information on the forums about BIAB/AG and hop utilization. Diluting the wort to your desired SG will help bring the bitterness down and it will mellow with age just give it time.

Back