First Biab

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echo2

Reaction score
Hi all,

Attempting my first BIAB this weekend. Going to do a CYBI clone of Epic Pale Ale.

Here is the recipe that was posted on HBT:

All recipes are (unless otherwise specified): 22.7 Litres post-boil, 70% efficiency,
Morey for color, 15% evaporation, 27.5 litres preboil, Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces.
Most, if not all recipes are primary only (no secondary).

OG 1052
FG 1011-1012
IBUs 23.2
SRM 8.3

4.3kg Golden Promise 80%
550g Baird's Caramalt 10%
180g Carapils 3.3%
360g Fawcett Pale Crystal 6.6%

90 minute boil

7g Cascade 7.5%AA at 75m
14g Cascade at 30m
34g Cascade at 10m
42.5g Cascade at 0m
Wait ten minutes
42.5g Cascade - hot whirlpool for 10 more minutes
57g Cascade dry hop dose 1 at ferment temps for 5 days
57g Cascade dry hop dose 2 at cold crash temps for 5 days
Wyeast 1272 American Ale II

I have a 50l pot(40cm dia) with a italian spiral burner and made myself a immersion wort chiller.

My plan for brew day is:

Pour 27.5l water into my pot, heat to 65c degrees, put grain in and mash at 63c for 90 mins.

At 85 mins start to raise temp to 76c while stiring the grain constantly, at 76c mash out.

Boil for 90 mins following hop schedule.

A few questions:

When I put my numbers into beersmith its telling my that I need to have 39l mash water but the recipe calls
for 27? Which must I do??

Does the mash schedule look ok? Anything else I should be doing differently?

Cheers

The grain will absorb water as well and when yo utake the grain out water comes out with it and is retained in the grain.... that means that you need to put more water in before you add the grain if you want to have 27ltr when you take the grain out.

I understand. Is there some formula I can use to figure out how much water to put in? Is BeerSmith the more accurate number then?

I am sure that there is some sort of formula but I don't know it.. I use Beersmith.

For my latest brew my water numbers are as follows to give you some sort of rough guide to see if Beersmith is giving you correct numbers (which it probably is if you have your settings on BIAB)

Starting Water: 32.4 ltr

Grain Weight: 4.82kg

Pre Boil Volume: 29.46ltr (this is after the grain comes out)

Post Boil Volume: 24.96 ltr

These numbers may not be perfect but beersmith makes good beer for me :D

Beersmith will only give results as accurate as the information it is given.

For your first go (or first few until you get your process down) - just work off the defaults. Once you start getting a bit of consistancy, feed your values back into beersmith (efficency, trub loss, boil off rate, etc...). If you update it with the values you get in the real world, then its results will end up being correct for your system

Latest posts

Back