First BIAB urgent help please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phew alright!!!
I ended up with 18ltrs out of the urn
How much water should I top up into the fermenter

Looks like it's working out. Keep to your plan and see it through. Join the dots when it's all cooled down and plan the next one better.

Before putting it in the fermenter take a gravity reading and adjust for temperature of sample.

If gravity is too high (1055 instead of planned 1047) use a calculator to dilute to target. If too low, don't worry, carry on :)

practicalfool said:
Before putting it in the fermenter take a gravity reading and adjust for temperature of sample.

If gravity is too high (1055 instead of planned 1047) use a calculator to dilute to target. If too low, don't worry, carry on :)
if you require it, brewmate has a dilution tool you could use, doc

DU99 said:
Anyways doctr-dan which part of this large land do you live
I'm in Mt Colah, 45mins north of sydney.

What a whirlwind day!

the most important points from here mate are:

1. get used to brewing software. brewmate is a great tool to help you understand the process and ingredients and steps better
2. write everything down; your losses to evaporation, your losses to trub, your starting and ending gravities, your pre- and post-boil gravities, your own tasting notes when you sample it, your temps etc
3. do a few more brews similar if you can, and use the information you've written down to fine tune your process so you can expect the same results (same losses so you get the right volume into the fermenter at the expected gravity for example)

once you get these roughly the same, then you can expect similar results and you'll know your equipment 'profile'. then it's just a case of tweaking and changing your recipes to taste and style :)

At the risk of poo pooing the above advice, sounds like the op likes to dive in and think on his feet. It's not a bad way to do it if you are up for it, keeping records is great but there are people who get by fabulously on muscle memory. It's all relative, have fun, learn the basics of how starches turn into sugars and hop bitterness works. Don't get overly caught up in the specifics of equipment, volumes, gravitates to start with. Unless you know what you are doing those things are marginally useful.

Again, experiment and have fun.

fair call. each to their own learning styles and preferences.

Oh wow, the excitement of reading through this thread !
Were the grains crushed, were they not ??
What was his mash temp ??
Is that enough hops ??
ooooh look, accidental mash out !! Haha

I love it !!

Let us know how it tastes in a few weeks doc !

CF

Love the jump in to the deep end approach. My first BIAB went great but the wort tasted wrong (not sweet like Kit and Kilo stuff) and I thought "the mash has failed, the mash has failed" so I put in a kilo of dex.

On tasting day it was glorious, but on fifth pint my mate and I were crawling around crying about why Princess Diana had to die and why don't they leave Britney Spears alone. :p

Thanks for the tips everyone! This is the sister and I have my positive pants on that it will be awesome! We shall let you know how awesome (or just ok) our first BIAB went in a few weeks...

sounds a lot like my brew days ....
=
crush grain
heat water
tip in grain
wait.....
boil
add hops now and then
put in cube
ferment
wait....
chill.. carb... and drink

ahhhhh beer :)

i reckon you made beer, well wort anyway....
get ready to enjoy it :)

I like ya style...balls that would not fit in a fruit jar/stupid. Keep us posted.

So minor update......, I havnt had a chance to bottle this yet!
I assume it should still be okay it's been in the fermenting fridge at 19d

Errr.. how long's it been fermenting for? Nearly 6 weeks by the look of it.
As long as it's sealed up and nothing nasty has gotten in it should be ok, but it's probably well and truly ready to bottle now. Personally, I'd bottle it asap.

Latest posts

Back