First Biab Today

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morebeer4me

Reaction score
Well the day has finally arrived, my first attempt at BIAB this morning, a mate is coming over to lend a hand. I am making a corona style beer (recipe from craft brewer).Picked this beer as the steps, additions etc are very easy, Will no chil in a cube. Have checked my list twice, so let's see how it goes. Only question is when to christen the biab setup with some nice cold beers.
Anyway thanks to Gav80 , Ross of CB and all of the members of this site whom have posted their words of wisdom. You have all answered the silly questions with respect, can't wait to meet up with the Brisbane group at BAAB s in the future
:icon_chickcheers:

Good luck,

I put my first one on yesterday and it was a lot easier than I though. I'm going to check my numbers this latter morning and work out my efficiencies.

Good luck,

I put my first one on yesterday and it was a lot easier than I though. I'm going to check my numbers this latter morning and work out my efficiencies.

Best of luck mate! I put number 9 down yesterday and it just gets easier and easier. I have gone the beer at all stages from start to none at all. I now wait for the last hop addition as I have fucked up and spilt shit and done all sorts of things when I've gone early. I reckon though having a mate over will make it pretty near impossible not to have a couple of 'early ones'. So just blame him. :icon_cheers:

No matter how bad it seems when you're making your beer, don't worry about it as it's super hard to bugger BIAB up.

Enjoy it mate, you will never look back to cans again :) (Unless you're super time poor)

Cheers,

Clint

Good luck mate. As tempting as it is, as Rowy says, try to stay off the booze until you're done. That said, it's something that I've not yet managed to do. Luckily I've had only minor mishaps such as small spills while batch sparging and a boil over - not show stoppers, but time wasters.

I first attempted BIAB about 6 months ago following Nick's advice in his AG for 30 bucks thread. If you've not read it, you should check it out. I've not looked back. I still do the occasional kit + bits brew when I'm short on time, however you are definitely rewarded for the extra effort that goes in to AG.

Enjoy!

Congrats.

There is just so much in making one from grain it's not even comparable to kits. I did one kit and then one kit + extract + hops. While the second one was a winner and I've tasted one ages after the fact and still liked it, the time it took for that to get here has nothing on how fresh and quick an all grain brew tastes. Mates who've brewed kits n bits before ask me why I go to all the trouble by they recant the question upon tasting the brews :) there is no question about the difference.

Bloody hell it went well for the first one, but really after all the advice on this site what would you expect Mash went well, held temp to .4 degree drop in 60 min, wrapped pot in an old sleeping bag. Slightly higher in mash out but not too far from design.
Expected to lose 5 litres after mashing but only lot 2.2 litres, so started boil with more than required, work out well because I expected to lose 5 litres during boil but actually lost. 9.0 litres filled the cube pressed the sides in to get rid of air, tipped on its side for 10 mins and cleaned up. 4 hours start to finish.
During mash we cleaned 30 tallies and during boil we filled them with a golden ale (kit and bits) thanks gav80
Started drinking after finish, just to be safe, now to watch the cricket
Cheers all
Edit: fixed some beer goggle errors :icon_drunk:

four hours start to finish on your first brew?! Mate you've already got this all grain caper down pat!

Bloody hell it went well for the first one, but really after all the advice on this site what would you expect Mash went well, held temp to .4 degree drop in 60 min, wrapped pot in an old sleeping bag. Slightly higher in mash out but not too far from design.
Expected to lose 5 litres after mashing but only lot 2.2 litres, so started boil with more than required, work out well because I expected to lose 5 litres during boil but actually lost. 9.0 litres filled the cube pressed the sides in to get rid of air, tipped on its side for 10 mins and cleaned up. 4 hours start to finish.
During mash we cleaned 30 tallies and during boil we filled them with a golden ale (kit and bits) thanks gav80
Started drinking after finish, just to be safe, now to watch the cricket
Cheers all
Edit: fixed some beer goggle errors :icon_drunk:

Sounds like a great day. You never told us what recipe you were following. What did you put down?

You arsehole! You bloody nailed it! Enjoy your beers. Your drama is now to beat 4hrs. I reckon you can't. B ut if you do tell me what your doing :p

Sounds like a great day. You never told us what recipe you were following. What did you put down?

It was a corona style, recipe from cb, chosen as it had easy mashing and hop schedules, I'm not a big fan of corona's but I wanted an easy one to start.

Congrats on AG#1.

Welcome to the dark side! :ph34r: :icon_cheers:

4 hrs is indeed a tidy brewday.

four hours start to finish on your first brew?! Mate you've already got this all grain caper down pat!

Hey Mate,
Had everything cleaned night before, filtered water went in the pot at 800 and finished smack on 1200 after clean up, no chilled into a cube

Congrats on AG#1.

Welcome to the dark side! :ph34r: :icon_cheers:

4 hrs is indeed a tidy brewday.

Must admit loved the smell, my mate that helped ran and owned pubs in London, so he fitted in just perfect. The smell must have travelled as the neighbour jumped the fence to have a look, he only brews kits, he was amazed at the big pot, biab bag, pulley setup, big burner pumping away. Anyway had a great time
Cheer

Ekul, I just got myself a 20 plate chiller, its knocked another 3/4 hour off my Biab time and uses less water for cooling than normal coil chiller. Probably one of the best HB investments I've made (other than going electric Biab). Todays brew started with cold water in the urn at 11:30, and finished / cleaned up by 3PM.

Hey Barndillo,
Well done on your first Biab.
I try to have discipline now, and not have a beer until 20 minute hop additions, have made some stuff ups and the care factor seems to drop heaps if I go earlier...

Congrats mate.
I'm currently planning my 3rd biab and still haven't managed to stay off the beers till after the brewing is done haha
Sounds like you've got a sweet setup too with the pulleys and burner.
Hope it turns out great. I know mine have :icon_cheers:

Back