First BIAB pot

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alimacoz

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've done lots of extract brews in the past and I'm familiar with steeping spec grains so I'm thinking of trying out BIAB.

I'm happy with producing 20 - 23 litres of beer per batch so based on that what would you guys recommend for the size of brew pot that will make it nice and easy to produce that quantity of beer?

I have a 40lt urn that does standard sized batches, most guys talk about 50lt pots.
For
BIAB you will need on average 30lt water and then grain space so personally I wouldn't go smaller than 40lt although you could, it just adds a bit more stuffing around into it.

There is a bucket load of keg pots "keggle" being used so you could always source a keg (legal and decommissioned of course) and convert it quite easily

If I was in your shoes I'd go something like a 50L pot for size because you won't struggle too much for space on big grain bills. However the question is will you stick to 23L batches or make the jump to double batches?

For that reason I got a 80L pot. I've yet to do a single batch on it because for next to no extra time involved I get 46L of wort.

If you are only "thinking of trying out BIAB",

Go get 19L Big W stock pot = $19. It is easy to do mash/boil on the stove top with this.

I have been using this to do partials, 3-4kg grain mash + ldme to make it up to 23 litres.

Its a good (cheap) stepping stone to getting the full on setup.

Back