First BIAB - IPA recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, I dont like chinook as a bittering hop (too harsh) although it’s a better option in that role than galaxy. I prefer a clean bittering hop (e.g. magnum) or one of the CTZ hops if I want a bit more piney notes. I also tend to aim for 1/3 of ibus from the bittering charge and the rest from late hops for aipas.

Never tried a chinook / galaxy combo. I’ve tended to hunt for a commercial example or two when I’m thinking of a new hop combo after a few pretty disgusting beers brewed early on without enough research. Only takes a few minutes.

I like the base malt recipe from the electric brewery (95% Pale malt, 5% light crystal). Keeps it nice and simple. Rye or oats (10% to 20% is a decent starting point) can add mouthfeel if that’s what you like, although I tend to drop the crystal if I’m using one of those.

Being your first biab i would probably change your efficiency to 65%.

Plus it maybe a little too bitter if it finishes at 1.009, but each to their own.

Steves IPA.png

My personal fave.

This one has a good following here at Brewman.

Note the prices / hop spec's and Malt spec's are all current for what is in the shop.

I just made it, yeast on the wort this morning, no dry hops yet and it smells fantsastic.

Sugar will go in on Tuesday with the dry hopping.

I actually used Saf SO4, just a personal preference over the US05. Either one works well in that recipe.

Cheers Steve

Boil the jug, put sugar in a container (I use a preheated jam jar around 375 mL), pour in boiling water until jar is full, cover (close the lid) and allow to cool, add to brew. Just a baby sugar No-Chill really.
I have tasted Steve's IPA and its a ripper!
Mark

Boil the jug, put sugar in a container (I use a preheated jam jar around 375 mL), pour in boiling water until jar is full, cover (close the lid) and allow to cool, add to brew. Just a baby sugar No-Chill really.
I have tasted Steve's IPA and its a ripper!
Mark

Never even thought of mixing it then adding, simple! I've been looking for a new IPA recipe, might give this one a go.

10 minute (or whirlpool) single hop ipa's have always been good for me.

Aim for 1.060 using 95% pale (i like maris otter) and 5% light or medium crystal, 60 IBU with all boil hops added at 10 mins or whirlpool if you no chill. Plus add some dry hops.

This is a good base for understanding what hops you like and dont like, if you want it dryer mash lower and add some sugar to the boil, want more body mash higher and think about adding oats.

Latest posts

Back